Silver and Pewter bowls?

I have about a dozen Sterling Silver and Pewter candy bowls that I got over the years as awards. I use them as food and water bowls for my cat and dog. What would you do with them?

Asked by Joeygoat at 6:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can donate them to Goodwill. They do an online auction at I have purchased several really neat things from there. That is a way to help a charity, get rid of your silver, and get a tax deduction in one fail swoop!

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'd take the silver ones down to the local jewelry place that buys silver and gold by the ounce.

the pewter ones, I'd probably use as dog/cat bowls too LOL

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I collect pewter. I wouldn't water the dog and cat. I love pewter. I also have a bunch of sterling silver serving platters and bowls I got as trophies showing horses. I use them as serving trays for baby showers, birthdays, bridal showers, and wedding receptions.

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Put them on Craigslist

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Use them to hold jewlery or as a bowl near the door as a catch all for everything that comes in the house.

Answer by flcouple7577 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Some of them can be used as candy bowls.

Answer by missthang42001 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Jesse I have all that stuff, too. Why do people think you need Sterling Silver trays when you would rather have an oven or a washing machine? Can you take the engraving off of these items? Some of the military bases are not even around anymore. The handles in my kitchen are pewter so they match the chandelier in the dining room. I have been a fan of Paul Revere's pewter bowl design since I was a child.

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't think you can get the engraving off the bowls. You might find an engraver and see if they can be buffed. It might come off. If the bases aren't around anymore, they may become collector's items. I use doilies on the trays to cover the engraving. The engravings have never bothered me. I actually enjoy the memories they bring.

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Memories of being the "Officer's Wife of the Year" seems quite silly. About the only one I really admire is the one I got when I shot a perfect round at the firing range. Those overly styled platters I used when I had to give tea parties. I have not entertained like that in years. I have asked my children if they want them, no, I have also asked my d ex h if he wants any of them, no. So, dog and cat bowls are the fate.

Comment by Joeygoat (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010