I have type O negative blood. On Friday I'm going to the docs for a shot pertaining to the RH- factor. Can someone help me understand this. I know my blood can not mix with my childs for safety measures. How many shots is it? Is it just one then that's it or is it several. The PA informed me it would be one. How exactly does it work?

norma_lee

Asked by norma_lee at 8:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am getting mine in a few weeks. I am not sure why I have to get it during my pregnancy. I am asking my doc. But I know I did with my first son, and after his birth I got one. I have also had to have one with every miscarriage I have had. Ask your doc. Its one shot, in the butt muscle. It isnt bad... no side effects.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 8:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• ive always heard it was only one bu im not sure ive never had to do it
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think I can explain this to you...you are going to get a shot of Rho-gam. You are getting this shot because your blood is O negative, and that means the Rh factor is negative, which means that is the type of antibodies your blood has. If your baby has a positive blood type (like O pos or AB pos) where the Rh factor is positive, then the baby will have "positive" antibodies. If this is to happen then your body will build antibodies against the positive ones that your baby has, and it's like your body is fighting that of your baby's.
    K_Coleman

Answer by K_Coleman at 8:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• t 8:25 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 by: K_Coleman
    And to add: if you don't get the shot then you will have the antibodies when you have your next baby even if its 10 yrs away it will most likely attack your baby and cause brain malformations (retardation mild to severe.) If your baby is positive when its born you will have another shot before you leave the hospital of RhoGam, if its negative then you won't need the shot. There aren't any side effects and they do it in your butt muscle and its freezing cold and stings. And they should give you a card saying you had the shot and when you had it. Put it in your wallet because if your in an accident and they type your blood the type could come out positive and they need to know you've already had the shot so you don't end up with another one. My hubby is pos and I am neg I have needed the shot after baby for one out of two kids. One girl is pos and one girl is neg.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I am Rh- and I had to have the shot. If the baby is born with a positive blood type, you will have to have another shot. If the baby is negative, you do not. It is very important that yu get the Rhogam shot for the safety of your baby and yourself. There is nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• You'll get one before the birth then when the baby is born, they'll test his or her blood. If the baby's blood is positive you'll have to get another shot before you leave the hospital. I got two with my son and only one with my daughter. I'm Type O Negative also.
    sara900

Answer by sara900 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is in case your blood mixes with the babys blood somehow. This will only happen if somehow your placenta breaks or ruptures and babys blood leaks into your body. Your body will see it as a virus and then try to kill it, endangering your baby. i was told it nly happens in things like bad falls, caraccidents...etc. Stuff that soesnt normally happen. But get the shot. Better be safe than sorry.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 1:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2008