Whats the best way to clean sterling silver?

I have this really nice jewelry set that I love, it's sterling silver and it's stained, whats the best way to clean it? I used rubbing alcohol and it made it look foggy and ugly. Any suggestions?

Asked by babyangelromero at 7:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• this sounds odd but you can use toothpaste :)

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:56 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Tarn - X works good. A good silver paste. There is an ionized plate you put in water with baking soda and place the silver on. The electrons from the plate and baking soda react with the tarnish and clean it. My mom has one. It works ok. It doesn't work well on heavily tarnished silver. You still have to "clean" it with the paste or Tarn-X.

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• you can also use powder Tide with cold water and a cloth

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• the silver cleaning cloth is AWESOME! I only wear sterling silver

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Buy a Silver cleaning cloth by Connoisseurs at Wal Mart or Target in the jewlelry dept. It will be two cloths sewn together at one end. Used the frohnt cloth to rub tanish away and the back cloth to polish it afterwards. Once you have it clean, store it in Ziploc bags. Air and body oils is what causes Sterling to tarnish.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Silver cloth. you can usually find it by the yard at a fabric store. you only need maybe 1/3 yard. also you can use it to make a pouch to keep your silver jewelry in to protect from futher tarnishing.

Answer by Crystal750 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• jewelry cleaner-look in the jewelry dept at walmart

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010