Equal rights?

We have discussed, argued and debated equal rights many times on this forum but how many of you know what it is like to live with laws that suppress your religious rights, or language rights or education rights etc.?
Can a person really appreciate freedom if they've always had it?
I have lived with laws whose sole purpose is to suppress my rights and I can tell you that I will NEVER do it again!

beeky

Asked by beeky at 7:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think people appreciate it, if they know their history and how we gained all these rights. But I do think that these rights can be taken for granted or people will use them to the extreme.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have not personally had my rights denied but witnessed others that have and I find it hard to comprehend. Plus history has a way of teaching us.... I remember watching the mini series Roots as a child and how it made me think that no one should be treated so poorly.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No I haven't, thank goodness. I'm very appreciative of the fact that I was born in a here. God could have set my a** down anywhere in the wold and I feel I'm very fortunate to have been born in the USA. I read a lot about the struggles of people in other countries and it's hard to understand why so much of the world lives under such extremely inhumane conditions. I can't understand how people living in truly deplorable conditions manage to survive. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think that freedom can be appreciated without having your rights denied.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• no i havent. i have been to other countries where certain freedoms would be taken away if i were a citizen. but as a student of History i realize how horrible it would be to live w/out the freedoms so many take for granted. also, you dont have to look far to see ppl in other countries living w/out the rights we have. so i do believe its possible to appreciate something before you've lost it. there are lots of things i truly appreciate though ive never had them taken from me.

just curious, but where did you live before that you didnt have the rights you have now?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• just curious, but where did you live before that you didnt have the rights you have now?

I lived in Montreal in the 70's and early 80's.  I watched the Parti Quebecois come into power.  I watched the Separatist movement blossom.  I watched as one by one all my languagerights were stripped away.  I watched some of my friends become illegal students and I narrowly missed that one myself.  I watched as taxes were raised to pay for a brand new Government organisation called L'office de la langue francaise(language police).  I could go on and on but ultimately to have rights that have existed since the beginning of your history taken away from you is tyranny.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• wow beeky, that sucks! why didnt the Canadian govt step in and tell them it was wrong? no wonder my Canadian roomie never had nice words for Quebec. i thought Quebec had always been the way it is now. i really need to bone up on Canadian history!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that several of the laws violated the Canadian Charter of Rights but the laws are still there.

Quebec was settled by the French and English but has as happened many times throughout history, they quarrelled.   And has as happened many times throughout history, the English won and yet it is now french. 

Don't think it can't happen in America because it creeps up on you and by the time you see it, it's too late!  There are already rumblings about English/Spanish language laws in America.

beeky

Comment by beeky (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes I've lived in a place where citizens are stripped of their rights. I was born in my beautiful Brasil and before we came here we lived in Venezuela
    For a bit and then in Cuba for some months. Those people have it bad. Sometimes when I hear people here complain about how much it sucks and how hard life is
    I just shake my head. We have issues and poverty here too but being poor here and being poor there are worlds away from being the same,
    This place is damn near utopia compared to other places. :)
    my_monkey_baby

Answer by my_monkey_baby at 11:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Don't think it can't happen in America because it creeps up on you and by the time you see it, it's too late! There are already rumblings about English/Spanish language laws in America.

Oh my god, it IS happening!  This country is being forced by illegal aliens to learn their language and print it on our forms.  They demand--and get--rights that I don't have access to as a legal citizen of this country--free health care, free schools for their kids, free housing.  How long before Spanish will be the national tongue instead of English?  They may have lost the Mexican-American war, but they're going to get our country one way or another because we refuse to enforce our own immigration laws.  I know.  I live in "illegal alien" central!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010