Have you ever been in a domestic violent relationship? Did you leave? How did you leave?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 7:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• He was just a boyfriend in highschool but he hit his brothers all the time. We had been together for over a year when he decided that punching me in the arm and threatening me was appropriate to get a point across. It took only that one time. He had given me a promise ring and I gave it back to him the next day. I thought about what our lives would be together if I tolerated this and I also thought about my parents. They raised me better than that and I knew I deserved more and that what I told him. I walked out of that house with my head held high and a new sense of self confidence. Domestic violence is NEVER OKAY!!!!

Peace to all
    MizMellyMac

Answer by MizMellyMac at 8:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes. Luckily we didn't have kids, so it was easier to leave, and he wanted out. Though he kept 'trying' to call me. He didn't hit me, though he shoved me, and was emotionally abusive. And he held a loaded gun to my head, and told he sometimes he wanted to shoot me. He also left me a note threatening to kill me and my parents.
    I was able to get out of the marriage rather easily. We got evicted from where we lived, so I moved back home, he moved in with friends. Then things went down hill for him. He was military, and got himself chaptered out. I filed for divorce before he was out of the military, so IDK where the hell he was when it was finalized.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• WHoa Raine.. I am glad that you and Miz Melly got out so quickly. Many people stay in these types of relationships in an effort to CHANGE their mates..
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Before my now BF, I was with this awful guy who was older than me. My dad liked him, but my mom just could not gather herself to like him, and boy did she have her reasons. This man was a piece of work. He ended up being verbally abusive, and I got out before it turned physical.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I stayed for seven years...the breaking point for me was when his mistress was pregnant at the same time I was..I shoulda left long ago
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 8:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• But you finally did Etta.. Everyday is a new day!
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes, I was in for one year and I tried so may times to get out. I wanted to drop out of high school and go to job core but my parents wouldnt let me. The guy that was abusive was my high school boyfriend, I tried so many times to get away but he always found me. When I found out I was pregnant I decided to disappear on him. I changed my routine at school and some of my classes. I still had to go to work but I changed my route. Eventually he stop coming around but then somebody told him I was pregnant and he came after me and beat the shit out of me, A couple of his friends found out what he did to me and went after him and then he deployed a couple months later and that was the last time I saw him. By the time he got back from deployment I had a new job, I lived on my own and then when he tracked me down I was in the middle of moving out of state so he has no idea where i am.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• well is say this if you want to get out of an abusive relationship & & you have some $ saved then go to your parents house if they live in another state pack your bags get tickets & get out 1 day that he is at work start putting things away & when you have all the things packed 1 day get your tickets & go somewhere else
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes I was married to my abuser. It started small when we were dating, the snide comments, the pinching, the yelling, throwing things. I would cry & tell him that he was hurting my feelings, he would say he was sorry of course. And I would believe him. He would be sweet for awhile but then I would do something or not do something in some cases that would set him off. After we got married it got worst & more frequent. I was subjected to his emotional & verbal abuse on a daily basis. He would throw hot plates of food at me, rip chunks of hair from my head, slam me in to walls, punch me- I've had black eyes, a broken nose, busted lips, he caused me to have a miscarriage. The worst was after I lost the baby, we had a fight because I was crying. I was sitting on the bed, he picked me up by the throat, slammed me in to the dresser, then choked me til I passed out. When I woke up, he was sitting on top of me with a knife in his hands.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 8:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• WHAT HAPPENED STRESSED MOM? Are you out of that situation? Where are you now? Are you safe?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2010