Fire ants, etc.

Has anyone ever used Orkin or another company to get rid of bugs? How much did it cost?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 8:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Most of the companies in our area require you to sign a 'plan'. My neighbor uses one, It costs him about $150 every 6 months. We don't My husband has a pressure applicator so he treats the lawn himself. One of the best things we found for fire ant prevention is all 7 of the people on our side of the street all treat both front and back with Amdro on the same day. We haven't had fire ants in our yard for over a year since we began doing it this way.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• not for ants, we usually put down amdro... its the granules that they take down to the queen so it kills off the whole colony... works pretty well... but that's only for outside... for ants that get in the house I use borax... its cheap and non-toxic. i put it along the baseboards and inside wall outlets (take the cover off and sprinkle some down in the wall)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It was one thing when they were just in the yard, we'd put down the granules, etc. No big deal. However, now they're in the house. So I'm more concerned about DD and the cats getting into it. But we've got to do something, DH is highly allergic (runs in his family) to fire ant stings (and bees and hornets, etc), and to be on the safe side, I'm going to assume DD is as well.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Oh, holy cow, fire ants inside! Yikes. That would be a major problem here too three of us are highly allergic to them. For that, I would DEF. call an exterminator.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010