Do you agree with Ron Paul & Barney Frank?

Reps. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and Ron Paul (R-Texas) are urging lawmakers on both sides of the aisle to push the President's Commission on Deficit Reduction for cuts in military spending, as they seek signatories to a letter circulated Tuesday.

The effort comes just a few months after Frank, chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, appointed his own bipartisan commission to look at ways to reduce America's bloated military budget.

The commission released a report in June, outlining how to cut $1 trillion in defense budget and reduce the deficit over the next decade, without compromising national security.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/17/barney-frank-ron-paul-cal_n_685193.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I was wondering what in the world those two could possibly agree on! I'm gonna have to jump on board myself, as well.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• How about if Congress just stops going ahead and buying things like helicopters and planes that the military tells them they don't need?

How about instead of penalizing frugalness we don't hold it against them. An example..my husband has a budget of $40 million dollars for the year. He spends smart..seriously..he is so tight he squeaks when he walks..and only spends $30 million. Next year they penalize him by giving him a budget of $30 million or less. If it is more expensive that year he is in a pickle because he has to ask for and explain why he needs more funds. This type of thing leads to wasteful spending..people don't want to get an already slim budget cut.

This is NOT a good time to make big cuts to the military budget. Dems always do this though and then the Republicans have to catch us up. Look what happened when Clinton gutted our military.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If we do not have a solid and stable defense, then what use is it to consider ourselves safe and secure? Bloated military budget, pah! No, I do not agree with either of these buffoons. How do you understand old Barney anyway? If he would take those mashed potatoes out of his mouth, he may make sense. He may also be missing his boyfriend! Ick!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The defense budget has allowed for no bid contractors to companies who could give a shit about our soldiers, to the point that our soldiers can't trust the showers the contractors provide them with not to sicken or electrocute them, or their bullet proof vests to protect them from bullets. No shit something different needs to be done.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 9:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Being prior military and growing up in a military family, I have seen all sides of budget cuts and increases. I also come from a family that is well connected to politics. Now is not the time to cut our military spending. There are just too many countries that wish to do us harm. We need all the help we can get now with our military and our veterans.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• NOPE!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have not looked into this although a few years ago I looked into how our taxes were spent because of an argument with someone that claimed that the bulk of taxes go to public assistance programs (and they don't.) I found that a bulk of the money goes to the military and of that the largest portion went to the war effort. The smallest portion of the money budgetted gor the military was to go to the VA to help fund veteran's care and programs. I found this alarming because I had just read about how the number of those that die in war is lower then it has been in previous wars but the rate of those injured that will later count on the VA is higher than previous wars. I never agreed with the war, I wouldn't mind reducing how much we spend on it, but we should pay to take care of those we already sent there (and other places before this.)
    bobthepepperma

Answer by bobthepepperma at 9:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• How could anyone say no. I hope they realise we are making private contractors very rich with your tax dollars. Since 2001 our defense spending increased by 110%. Billions of dollars are going to private defense contractors. Not to mention the billions of dollars that are just lost and unaccounted for. 70% of our intelligence budget goes to private contractors. Billions of dollars are going to private contractor bonuses. Not to mention the raptor jet program that has been going on for 30 years that has yet to be completed has cost us over 65 billion dollars. To say we shouldn't cut the waste means you are misinformed. This huge budget isn't making America safer it is making private contractors super rich.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is SO hard to imagine Frank & Paul agreeing on something. But, I think there are other ways to accomplish the goal that they are after, as YSK suggested above. The last thing we should right now is cut our military budget! But Congress could certainly be more responsible with the how they allocate the money.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Nope, don't agree. Maybe by defense they mean all of O's AF1 trips and vacays which cost shit tons of money to make sure the golf course is threat free. Cause I am pretty sure the SS is part of the Defense budget!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010