My five year old granddaughter holds her pencil between her ring finger and middle finger. She is starting kindergarten next month. She can write all her letters very well and she colors inside the line. Her preschool teachers are not concerned with this. It concerns me and when I am with her she will hold it correctly. She does not seem upset by it.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They will want her to correct it. They have a triangle rubber thing you put your pencil in to help hold it the right way. Maybe you can find one for her. It helped my son.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• who cares how she holds it if she is getting it done!! let her feel comfortable and confident w it!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yeah my son does that too, the doctor said to place something in his hand for him to hold onto while he write, so he has no choice but to hold the pencil with his thumb and pointer finger.
    reyreybella01

Answer by reyreybella01 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i don't think it is important anymore how she holds it as long as it's done. it isn't like back in the day when teacheres wouldn't even let you be left handed. as long as it gets done, neatly, correctly it shouldn't be a problem. if it is they will show her how, best of luck
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Wow I hold my pencil that way its all good as long as she writes and you can read it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would not put too much pressure on her about it but try to ease her into writing correctly. That is something they do try to get kids to do. I think it is probably good for her to switch to a more correct grip because it could be better in the long run. I know that I do not hold a pen or pencil quite right (correct except the angle is off) so if I write for long periods of time (which you do in high school and college) I actually get pain in my middle finger from how the pen sits. My husband taught himself how to read and write at a very young age, by the time he started kindergarten he was set in his ways. His grip is still a bit off (it is closer to clutching then tripoid grip) and he jokes that if he writes a note to our grade school son's teacher that they'll accuse our son of writing it because hubby has very rough handwriting.
    bobthepepperma

Answer by bobthepepperma at 9:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• As a first grade teacher I would not be concerned as long as she form her letters correctly (which usualy doesn't happen for many kids till the end of first grade anyway). As long as she's not having any problems I wouldn't worry about it!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ditto
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• why are you concerned with how she holds her pencil? as long as she's writing well and it's readable, it doesn't matter.

there are many ways to hold a pencil. I write like that with the pen/pencil on my ring finger, but I sketch with it on my middle finger.

it's just a pencil LOL nothing to get concerned about IMHO
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I hold my pencil like that. When I write alot I get indentations on my ring finger. I think it;s because of the way I hold it.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 9:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010