caught my child stealing and lying

i know some parents go threw this kind of problem of there child stealing or taking something without asking and lying, i have caught my child doing this 2 times now witch as a mommy with a hubby that is on the road for work i had to SPANK for the first time, witch i cried cause i didn't know what else i warned him even made him take it back where he stoile it from i even had him write a letter and i grounded him for a week well this time i need more ideas to make him realize that he picked a bad choice and i will not stand for this kind of behavior, so pleaze tell me what you do and i will see if it will work on my child...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• Instead of spanking, I was told by a psychologist to remove everything from the childs room except for his bed. Take the toys, clothes, and anything else that interests him in the room and make him earn back every single thing one by one. Never had to take this extreme with my daughter, but I know someone who did this with their son and it worked. Just a suggestion... :)
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 8:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I agree with the PP about taking away the child's possessions. I don't think there is any better way to show them what it feels like to be stolen from...plus it helps with this sense of entitlement kids seem to have. I don't disagree with spanking though...if I would have stolen growing up, I definitely would have expected to be spanked for it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Make him return it, and work off the value of the item for the person he stole from. I have done this when my son broke his grandmothers antique lamp. He learned to keep his hands off people's things, and to take responsibility for his bad choices.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:14 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Talk with him and turn it around in role playing. Ask him how he would feel if someone stole his favorite thing. What he would think of that person. Maybe get a book at the library on the subject.
    mom-n-grandma-4

Answer by mom-n-grandma-4 at 5:17 AM on Oct. 8, 2008