Is it possible for a mom to like one of her kids more than the other?

I'm sure my mom likes me more than my sister. Sh calls me every day and she's always had time for me while she never had time for my sister.

She talks proudly about me and she hardly even mentions my sister.

I haven't done anything better than my sister and she's a great person so I don't get it..

Is it possible for a mom to like a child better than the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• My mom likes my brother more than me. My dad likes me the best out of his five. I can't tell you from my point of view. I'm ttc number 1.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 9:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yes. i love both of my kids, but sometimes i like one more than the other, it fluctuates really lol. like today i liked my dd more because ds was being cranky, yesterday i liked ds better because he was calm while dd was crying all day.
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 9:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My Mom would most likely admit to liking my brother more. We have never had a good relationship.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yeah it's possible, but it's a shity thing to do
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• of course it's possible. It's about connecting and having things in common, and personalities.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't think so.. At least not yet. I love both my girls the same but it's hard to like one more that the other because one is still a baby and the other one is 6yo. I'm expecting twins and they're going to be pretty close with my 6mo so I can compare!!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think it's possible for them to like one better than the other at different times, but I really think they still love each. I love both of my girls very much, but there are times I like one better than the other, but I still love them both very much. I could never say I loved one more than the other.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:43 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I only have one child, so I'm speaking from the experience of being the oldest of 4 children.

I believe its very possible. And from what my mom tells me its not purposeful. Its a personality thing. And I guess I can see that.

My grandmother flat out tells me I'm her "favorite" grandchild. It always makes me feel kinda bad and I don't know why! Lol
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I see it all the time. DH's best friend's wife only talks about 2 of her 3 kids. I don't even know the 3rd ones name (they are adults living in another state.)

I also see it with my MIL. DD#2 is her overall favorite. She can't stand DD#1 and won't do anything without consulting DD#3 (we think she is afraid of this one.) And my DH, well, he is the boy and we still think that she isn't sure of what to do with him (and he is her youngest turning 45!)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is very possible for a parent to like one child more then the other. It may not even have anything to do with the other child either. More to do with the parent having a hard time connecting or bonding with that second child. It could be that simple, and it could be just as complicated as a feeling of negativity a mother has towards another child of theirs.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010