Can you sew?

Ok, so I had home ec in hs but the teacher didn't like sewing so as a result we weren't shown a lot and I don't know how to sew! I feel like I should, being that I have 2 kids, and I want to really badly! My mom can sew, but is always to busy to show me how. My grandmother can too, but is unable to see well enough to show me now. So what to do? I want to be able to sew cute little outfitts for the next baby and Halloween costumes and odd and ends things. Also, I'd like to be able to say,"Hey, I made this!" lol. Where can I learn to sew because I can't afford to pay someone!

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 10:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Nope. My hubby does the sewing, lol.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• In a survival way nothing fancy who cares I can write. lol
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I can do the very basics...
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Check with your local hobby & crafts store to see if they are offering a class. Otherwise, you could always try the library. There are many books about learning to sew.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm completely self-taught. I use somethings online, like YouTube and makeitandloveit.com to help me learn, but it's all self-taught.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:04 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes! I made my children's Christening outfits out of the train from my wedding dress using a pattern. I also make duvet covers, lined curtains, chair and ottoman slip covers, toss pillows, and clothing.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• no idea how to sew!!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 10:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My mil taught me and even got me a sewing machine as a gift, I went nuts with it, started making cloth diapers, made a little side business out of it, I've made myself baby carriers, and all sorts of cool stuff. I love making things, and it's really pretty easy if you have someone to teach you how to use the machine. I took to it pretty easily and I hadn't sewn since 7grade home ec either. Good luck, i say buy your mom lunch and in turn try to get her to give you an hour or two to show you.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am completely self taught, although I am like you that both mom and grandma sewed but never showed me. I just pick easy patterns (even years later) and follow the directions. Now there are places like youtube to get a visual if you need more help or the directions are confusing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My Mom is an avid sewer and has a business of hand sewn baby stuff. So couldn't get out of helping her as a child. I now sew all the time. I make cloths, curtains, and blankets for the house all the time. It saves tons of money. Sewing is more about practice after you learn the basics. I would look on YouTube at their tutorial videos and find a book to reference from. Good Luck!!!
    DustiC

Answer by DustiC at 10:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010