How to decorate cake/ cupcake?

Has anyone used fondue (and did it taste ok?), or some other way of decorating? My son wants a lego birthday.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:10 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• Do you mean Fondant? Fondant is made from sugar paste and can be used to make smooth surfaces. Marzipan is almond paste that can be used to make 3d shapes. As for the lego.... I believe there are bulk candies that look like legos, I used them once to make a chimney on a gingerbread house.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Fondant?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My friend started a cake business... and here is a link to her Lego cupcakes. There are several different pics...

http://www.facebook.com/AvaSweetCakes?v=photos&ref=ts#!/photo.php?pid=5950307&id=265058905148&ref=fbx_album

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Fondant is VERY hard to cover an entire cake. I did that last year with my DD's cake and it was HARD. This year I frosted it and then cut out pieces of fondant and decorated it that way, came out beautifully!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• if you can look up cut cakes. i found a cake pattern for regualr cakes that you cute into shapes of other things. lego was one of the things you can do. i think pillsbury put out the booklet. or you can ask OBImomma, she just said she was trying to open a cupcake shop. it must be fate!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Fondue like a sauce or Fondant the roll out icing?? I've used Fondant and it's pretty easy but I've never colored it. You could just cut cake into Lego shapes and stack the shapes to build something and have the top legos be red and yellow and use big gum drops for the tops. also you could make cupcakes and put the lego candies on top as decoration
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 10:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Fondant looks nice, but it doesn't taste very good...especially the prepackaged kind. It also takes a lot of practice.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You can also buy fondant colored. Micheal's has it in primary colors like you would want for legos.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm a big fan of the typical butter cream frosting.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 10:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• You can create an easy fondant-like effect by first baking an then thoroughly cooling your cupcakes, then melting cake frosting OR melted chocolate morsels over the entire cupcake, and let refrigerate for a few hours until hardened.

When heating the frosting or morsels keep it on the thick side, don't allow it to get too "watery." Before it completely hardens add sprinkles or decorations so they stick. Finish decorating/displaying once full hardened.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010