constipated 4 weeks old?

anything i can do to help a constipated baby...almost 5 weeks old?

dairyberrys

Asked by dairyberrys at 10:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you sure the baby is constipated? For how long?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• 1 ounce baby apple juice mixed with 1 ounce water,slighty warmed. Twice a day. No more than twice a day though.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My little girl had that problem. This works fast and everythime!
    Picture the numbers of a clock around her belly button. Start at 12 and rub gently around 12, then around 1, and so on, and so on. You don't have to rub hard just gentle massage. She will drop a load in about an hour, maybe two. Make sure she has on play clothes. My daughter always blew out a diaper.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• One word...MYLACON!
    kkleywegt41

Answer by kkleywegt41 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with the massage method before giving a baby that young anything.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I bet that baby is on formula, am I right? I had the same problem with my firstborn. He STAYED constipated. what kimberlyinberea said is what the pediatrician told me to do. Except it was part water part prune juice. If you are formula feeding and still have some breast milk, consider trying to breastfeed more if its possible. The reason I say this is because formuls causes constipation. And when a baby is 5 weeks old there isn't a lot they can do for constipation. You can't overdo it on the water and juice because it will dilute his blood. Anyways, if you can't breastfeed any the juice thing fails, you're going to have to call the dr but be prepared for a very cranky baby.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY NO JUICE. Your baby is too young.
    Are you FF or breastfeeding? Breastfed babies can go more than a week without a poop or they can poop several times a day. This is not constipation.

Constipation is hard, pebble-like hard to pass stool that is painful. First establish if there IS actual constipation or just an infrequent pooper.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Mylicon is far gas, not constipation.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Mylicon will make constipation worse, and because of your baby's age you need to call your pediatrician for advice. The massage idea is a good one, though. Definitely won't hurt to try it! Good luck!

Oh, and sweetlove, my dd is breastfed and constantly constipated, sometimes formula has nothing to do with it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Rhianna, make sure you're defining constipation properly. NOT POOPING IS NOT CONSTIPATION! A breastfed baby can go WEEKS between poops; longest I've ever known was 20 days with a normal breastfed baby blowout at the end of that time. I know, it sounds crazy, but it is true. A baby needn't poop daily. (And no, your doc likely WON'T know this; it's pitiful how little they are taught on the subject.)

Hard dry pellets = constipation, nothing else.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:56 AM on Aug. 18, 2010