Hallowed Ground?

One of the main reasons people are protesting the building of a community center near the site of Ground Zero is that they claim it is hallowed ground and the "mosque" would be disrespecting the victims and their families. Do you know what surrounds that area now? Do you know what the plans are for the Freedom Tower? What respect is being shown to other areas of hallowed ground where thousands of American soldiers lost their lives?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-cesca/ground-zero-mosque-oppone_b_685164.html

FYI - I am not using this as a news source, but an opinion source. You may not like the messenger, but his message is spot on.

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 10:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks, DEpley, for encouraging me to read the link. It was certainly an interesting editorial--and stripping away the opinions and leaving only the facts. . .well, the facts speak very plainly for themselves. This is entirely a political issue, being milked dry by Palin et al during another campaign season. I like the parallels the author makes between the reasoning the anti-mosque front uses to try to prevent the community center from being built, and the desecration of "hallowed ground" that escapes their sense of causes worthy of attention. As the author says, once we really examine the facts, "all that's left is political fear-mongering, demagoguery and a disturbing disregard for the free exercise clause. If it was truly about hallowed ground, we'd hear about all of those other American sites."

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Every square inch of the United States is hallowed ground--belonging to the Native Americans. Such a claim really lacks meaning since it is only used when convenient.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The below-grade concourses will include approximately 55,000 square feet of retail space and connect to an extensive transportation and retail network... So there's going to be a shopping mall literally in the ground of Ground Zero. "Below-grade" means "in the ground." The Ground. In other words, Sarah Palin and her entire gaggle of various babies and ghost writers can visit Ground Zero and honor the heroes and victims of 9/11 while trying on tankinis at Juicy Couture (or whatever clothing stores end up there) constructed within the actual ground of Ground Zero. This bears repeating: unlike Park 51, which is blocks away, there's going to be a 55,000 square foot mall under the same ground where people fell to their deaths on that terrible day. Ground that's mixed with the remains of the dead. A mall.

Retail, it's the American way...
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 11:33 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Strippers committing acts of terror in the name of..umm...in the name of.... Oh yeah, that's right....strippers haven't been committing acts of terror in the name of Allah.

The group building the "community center" has questionable ties. It is in very bad taste to build there considering the original building was destroyed by a group from the very religion it is being built for.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Of course the Nov election is a trigger for the entire sh*tstorm. if if wasn't for that pending election, no one would be concerned. Opportunistic bastardos whip up a frenzy and the loons respond.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:03 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

No, but its "Hallowed go=round" and a "cemetary" you want stanky strippers on your Mom's grave?

The group building the "community center" has questionable ties

I know, they have ties to the FBI...but I'll overlook that

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes, it's true. Many people will not approve of the messenger. I suppose it's a little like someone asking me to take a hit of Faux News and telling me I should believe what they're hawking. With that said, I agree. The question is a valid one. I admit that I haven't clicked on your link, but I have read that there are strip clubs within equal distance of where the Towers stood to the distance of where the community center is being proposed.  It doesn't seem very respectful to allow lap dances so close to "hallowed ground".

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• American citizens aren't committing acts of terror in the name of anyone. They've said this community center is supposed to be their way of pushing back against the terrorists. Whether you want to believe that or not is on you. And just because both groups call themselves Muslims doesn't mean that they're the same religion. Many Muslims will tell you that those militant jihadists aren't "True" Muslims, especially since they're not even following the tenants of Islam. Just because people are using a religion to justify their political motivations doesn't mean they are. These terrorists are no more Muslim than Hitler was Christian. And our people shouldn't have to suffer any more for it. The Muslims that live here were victims, too, and they remain victims as long as we continue to punish them for the actions of others, others who have hijacked their religion and used it in ways that go against its very teachings.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I can't get over the part about "retail space" - That alone makes me ill.

But this also stuck out with me:

It must be an election year because Republicans are once again rolling out September 11 as a wedge issue. You know, because they care about honoring the fallen. When it helps them politically.

**eye roll**

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 12:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Most the "news" I've seen titles the article about Park 51 *Cordoba House* as the mosque being AT Ground Zero, not near it. That's probably what is causing the uproar. I also believe that the reason many people are upset is because the terrorists were thought to be Muslim and many find that it's disrespectful to allow "terrorists" to pray any where near the place where Americans were massacred. Here's a thought though- not every Muslim in the world committed a crime against America. I'm just saying...If we expect religious tolerance for all the many religions in the U.S. then it's ridiculous to say all Muslims are terrorists. Christians were killing in the name of God many years ago too. Maybe not a good idea to have some thing so controversial near a site of death, but really, a strip club right by it? Seems like that would make more people upset.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010