How can I healthily go Vegan or atleast vegetarian on a Budget?

I really think my body needs this. But don't want to share TMI;) hahaha

Any ideas? Fam. recipes? We're on a strict budget unfortunately at the moment. I feel as though we need to be eating Rice, crm of mush and a sprinkiling of meat.

And ideas for help would be great! Thank you so much.

Best thing I've found so far is whatever Grocery Outlet happens to have.

thelowlander

Asked by thelowlander at 10:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Health

• Do you have enough land to grow your own food? A garden is not only beautiful to look at, but you know first hand where your food is coming from. It's hard work, but it's very rewarding and saves a lot of money. If not, I suggest going to Trader Joe's if you have one near you. Unfortunately food that is organic is more expensive. You would think it would be cheaper considering less goes into making it organic lol. If there's a store brand of soy milk, that may help save you some money as well. Good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I used to be vegan but I stopped because I live in the southa nd there just weren't a lot of options when going out but I've been a strict vegetarian for 13 years. I don't eat fish, seafood, any meat, gelatin, or anything cooked with those things or touching those things. Anyways, I've found being vegetarian is cheaper than being a meat eater, and I'm sure you know its way healthier. Livestock are given hormones, pesticides and antibiotics in this country. Vegetarians live longer, have less cancer and heart disease, etc. Anyways, I like Morningstar Farms and Boca products. I buy them at Walmart. They're in the freezer case next to waffles. But I don't eat that everyday usually. I just eat a lot of fruits, vegetables and grains and if I want to eat something that has to have meat I sub in that with morningstar. Their" ground beef" taste the same really when added. All of their stuff is really good! They have bacon, sausage,
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• cont. they have chicken strips, chicken nuggets, buffalo wings, hot dogs, corndogs, chicken patties, grilled chicken, burgers in all kinds of flavors! I make BLTs all the time with the bacon and chili with the beef crumbles and tacos, you name it and it can be done! They have a website for receipes too!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 10:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Just for fun, I googled "Vegetarianism on a budget" and found many, many entries. There is a lot of help out there. Here is one site I checked: http://lbveg.com/ . 

I've been vegetarian for about twenty years, and I've never, ever regretted my choice.  My daughters are being raised vegetarian, and are thriving.  I think it's great that you want to make this change to your health and lifestyle. 

By the way--there are vegetarian groups on CM as well as on FaceBook.  In fact, one of the entries I saw when I checked google was a FaceBook group for vegetarians on a budget.  You'll find a lot of support and great ideas in many different sources.  Good luck!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010