Is there any tips on getting a 2 yr old to go to sleep on his own. And stay asleep all night long?

My son is 23 months old and I am still having to lay down with him to get him to go to sleep. Is there any easy ways to get him to go to sleep on his own? Also when he is asleep he still wakes up several times during the night just like an infant, how do I get that to stop?

Navywife1117

Asked by Navywife1117 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For going to sleep:
    You can try sitting next to his bed, then by the door, then just outside the door, until he finally goes to sleep on his own. This can take a couple of weeks.
    Or you can put him in bed, kiss him goodnight, and tell him you will see him in the morning. Go back in only if you think something is wrong (poopy diaper, etc). This can take a few days.

For the middle of the night:
    He expects you to come to him in the night. This is what you've taught him and what he is used to. The only way to stop it is to stop it, cold turykey. Give him a sippy cup of water to keep in his crib when you put him to sleep and go back in the morning. Since this is so ingrained in him, every time he has a cold or is teething, and you have an actual reason to go to him in the night, he will relearn this habit and both of you will have to unlearn it once the illness or tooth is past.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• close his door and ignore him, not trying to sound rude... but my 2 yr old gets up everynight and comes into our room, i dont like to latch doors, but i ignore him and he goes back to his bed.. and i let him cry himself to sleep sometimes.... i dont go into his room and lay with him anymore, i did when he went to the toddler bed and when he moved into a new room but thats it
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:06 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• try to make his room a fun place, its what i did with my boys, i let them pick out their new bedsheets, and comforters and got cool new pj's, just sound excited about it and try to get him excited about sleeping in his bed.
    CamnJaydensMom

Answer by CamnJaydensMom at 9:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• My daughter was waking up at least once a night with what we could only guess were nightmares. Now, every night at bedtime we talk about what she is gonna dream about and give her suggestions of happy things. It's been two weeks and she's only been up twice!
    foxxy42

Answer by foxxy42 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2008