A question for people that do not believe in God

Do you get offended if when you sneeze, someone says,"God bless you." or if you're going through a difficult time, if someone says that they will keep you in their prayers? I'm just curious because I say both quite often, and never took into consideration that it may be offensive until just now. Thank you in advance for your input.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 10:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It bothers me some but does not offend me. I always say "bless you" and leave the God out of it. I don't mind if somebody says "I will keep you in my prayers" as that just equates to 'I will keep you in my thoughts". If somebody does not know that I am an Atheist, I will tell them so and say thank you.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No, it takes a lot to offend me. LOL!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The only phrase that I have been offended by was when people told me that Jesus took my children for a reason after going through a stillbirth and 2 miscarriages.

The ones you mentioned don't offend me and I don't pay much attention to them either.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's all about intent.  If the intent is genuine concern or affection then no but if it were condescending then yes.  So in the examples you stated, no I would not take offense.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm more of a pantheist, so I wouldn't say that I don't believe in God... I just don't believe in a personified deity, if that makes sense. Neither statement offends me- why would I be offended by someone wishing me well or thinking of me? It's like the whole 'merry Christmas/happy holidays' thing... someone is saying something nice, I'm not going to quibble over the wording! There's a whole lot worse they could be saying to me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thank you ladies, you've helped put my mind at ease. Erin, I'm so sorry for your losses. My heart goes out to you and your family.
    nicolemstacy

Comment by nicolemstacy (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Thank you.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Hope I'm not out of bounds because I do believe in the Gods, (plural). But I've not taken offence to a "God Bless You." I do feel a little funny about it when someone stresses the word "God" when saying it. I wear a pentacle openly and it has happened. As to saying that you will keep someone in your prayers is fine, as long as it's not a prayer for conversion. Good thoughts and well wishes are welcomed, meddling is not.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:58 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree with Erin. I had people say that to me with my 4 miscarriages. That and "It wasn't actually a baby yet." But that's a whole different conversation. But no, I am not offended by the statements either.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's all about intent. If the intent is genuine concern or affection then no but if it were condescending then yes. So in the examples you stated, no I would not take offense. ~ beeky

This is exactly how I feel as well!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010