Agree with Chris Christie?

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a new national icon for the Republican Party thanks in part to his push for pension reforms, on Monday became the most prominent GOP figure to warn against "overreacting" to the threat of terror and painting "all of Islam" with the brush of terrorism amid the swirling controversy about the ground zero-area mosque.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41141.html#ixzz0wvGnHjUI

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So, I was reluctant to just agree with a political figure that I hadn't heard of before so I googled him and have been reading about him for the past 20 minutes. Not only is he right, but if he demonstrates this sort of thinking - and he has - he is the sort of political figure I would hope for in the future. Moderate.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yes. He also accused Obama Gingrich and Reid of politicizing the wtc/community ctr/mosque.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• in lots of things
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I really thought this was going to be about illegalizing the R word.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, wow. I don't read Politico much. It sure does pad the intro to Gov. Christy's remarks with a LOT of opinionation - paragraphs of it, which guarantees that the reader will receive his remarks precisely the way the writers want them to be received ...

and in case there might be any deviation from the message they want the reader to take away, there are paragraphs more of follow-up driving the point home - wow do I feel leaned on!

What Christy says is 100% accurate. And in addition to his urging to "not paint all Muslims with the radical brush", we have to acknowledge the limits of Government to forbid this mosque: only zoning ordinances and use permits have relevance here.

The Constitutional right to build has never been questioned. What Gingrich, Palin et al are urging is common decency, and answers about shady associations which have red-flagged the intentions of "The Cordoba Initiative" (VERY provocative name choice
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The problem with the "common decency" argument is that it's subjective. Some thought it was indecent that Palin went back to work so soon after her son's birth. Should she have been pressured out of a job, even though that was legal, because so many people thought it was indecent?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:28 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There are always the fringe but he is right. Still doesn't change my thoughts about Terrorists. You cannot just poo poo the idea that terrorists are trying to instill themselves into our lives in order to, in the end kill as many Americans as possible. Did you forget 9-11?
    Have you forgotten the shoe bomber and the Muslim Psych Dr who killed 13 in TX. They found a Mosque in Houston last year that had terrorist activities going on. Thank god they shut it down before anything was able to be accomplished. There is no reason to freak out about it or to blame all Muslims but the the thought that these activities are in America is not wrong or crazy. 9-11 happened because people thought it would never happen.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• This guy sounds like a good guy with intelligence and a sense of fairness. ANd he is a Republican??? Wow....he is the kind of Republican we need! And I am actually a Democrat but I might vote for him. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 9-11 happened because people thought it would never happen

That and the warnings were ignored

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original
    ********************
    Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld ignored all the Intelligence reports.....the idiots.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• .... Usually.

I am interested to look at this and see what this particular question is about ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010