How would you react to this? Midget Football asst. coach arrested...

"Robert Burgess, an assistant coach with the Homewood Bulldogs, was arrested over the weekend during a drug buy with police in the parking lot of the Walmart in North Versailles.

Investigators said Burgess, 32, who showed up with another man, had 300 stamped bags of heroin, worth about $6,000 on the street, in his possession."

Apparently the league only does background checks on coaches and not on asst. coaches... How would you react if this was your kids team? Would you want your kids to stop playing?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he was still coaching then I may not want my child to play any more.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I agree, as long as he's gone I'd let them play. I'd definitely lobby for background checks though
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 11:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would petition for the school to do background checks on ALL of the adults that I'm leaving in care of my child. That is extremely unsettling. Hopefully this incident will open their eyes to the kind of people they are allowing around children.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Most organizations that deals with kids around here does CORI checks on everyone involved. I can;t even volunteer for an hour at my kids school with out one!! I kinda like that rule!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i would find a way to vote him off....
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• ohh to answer the question... I'd push HARD for a rule change in the league!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• The school is NOT in charge of the team, it's a county team. The schools don't have teams til HS here. The schools do background checks on everyone, but the county said they are only required to do them on head coaches.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would probably let my child keep playing because now the asst coach would be gone. But then I would probably pursue a law suit with the school district for choosing to endanger my child's safety. In our state, anyone who has direct contact with a child in any way and volunteers or is employed by the school district gets a background check.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My real question is though as I think about it... what does his being a midget have to do with it anyway?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• If the bad guy is gone, let him play.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010