Sleeping in an empty house...

I'm scared to buy a house with my SO because he works nights and I'm terrified of sleeping alone at night. I don't know what to do, but he will be on nights until he finds a better paying job, which might not happen at all. Any suggestions on how I can get over this fear?

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 11:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Always sleep with a light on. Also it will take time to get use to sleeping there. Good Luck.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• buy a dog.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• idk im with you there....i feel very pannic
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think you get used to it over time. My dh worked night for the first 2 years of our marriage. I was always uncomfortable with being home alone at night, but eventually it gets easy enough that you're not up all night looking out the windows.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:17 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• my SO works nights too. i hate it. but my son sleeps in the bed with me which makes things alittle better, but i still get scared. some nights ill be laying there and i think i heard a noise, and i get all freaked out, at first im like afraid to move, and then i get up and turn all of the lights on and check every place a murderer could be hiding. but you get used to it... its funny cuz i remember when he first started working nights, it felt wierd sleeping in the bed without him, but now hes been working nights for almost 2 years, and when he has his night off, it feels wierd sleeping with him.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• There are outlet timers at Home depot. My neighbor uses them when she goes out of town. Essentially, you put the timer on for say 10:30 p.m. and plug it into an outlet. Then plug your light into it. It will turn the light on/ or off at 10:30. Help giving the illusion that someone is in the living room. You could plug anything in to it ( TV, radio, lights, etc)

Also, have you considered getting a dog? Even if its a small dog, it could at the very least alert you to someones prescence.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 11:19 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i agree a small dog usually helps but you also get use to it i was use to always having either my family or husband and now im here bymyself with my baby which is still a lil scary but trying not to think about it
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I would really love a dog, and I will try the outlet timers. Thanks everyone. And purpulbutterfly, I also feel weird when he sleeps with me once a week! I'm so used to sleeping alone in my bed, just not the whole house.
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My DH worked nights for the last 4 years, you do get used to it after awhile. I put little door alarms on the doors (they made a horrible noise if the door was open) and I always kept the windows shut and locked tight. I also put those child safety gates in the windows so they would be harder to get through (they also kept my kids from pushing out the screens during the day when the windows were opened). After awhile I started to enjoy having a time that was "just mine" and I really liked having the bed to myself. Now I'm getting used to him being here again (he just switched to day shift). This has been a bigger adjustment for me because now I no longer get my "alone time".
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Boy do I know what you mean!! My dh has worked 3rd shift for nearly 15 years. At first we lived in an upstairs apartment in town and it wasn't a big deal. But we moved into our house in the country (after living in a noisy town for 7 years) and it was SOO quiet!! I was very freaked out. Not only that, but the house is all one floor and all mine - no one else living here like an apartment. So I always left a radio on at night to hide the noises the new house would make (creaks and groans from settling and stuff). Now 11 years later I can sit here at 11:00 at night with a door open to let the fresh air in. Getting a dog is definitely another good idea. We have a beagle, but she is outside and she'll bark if there is anything strange going on. It just takes time. I enjoy the quiet time at night - my cafemom time :) Oh - we also have an alarm system connected to a central station. Never had to use it, but I like the security of it
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010