Does anyone know what would cause an older child who has already stopped wetting the bed to start doing it again?

Well my son is 7 years old and has had bedwetting problems on and off but he pretty much stopped a little over a year ago. He only had accidents now and then. Then he went to live with his father for the school year in another state but was pretty much with his stepmother becuase his father was deployed to another country. I got him back with me not too long ago and he is wetting the bed every single night now. I just dont know what could have caused this relapse. Does anyone have any ideas?

SillyMommy85

Asked by SillyMommy85 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just the stress of relocating could be enough of a trigger.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• stress

I suggest taking him to a counselor.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It could be a UTI. I would bring him to your dr to make sure it's nothing physically wrong.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My son did something similar. THeir bodies are just immature. But a few things that trigger it are, too much liquid before bed, WATERMELON hours before bed, and certain medications. You may have to wake him part way through the night to pee. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Stress, I peed the bed when my parents got divorced. I had been trained for years.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:21 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• the situation has changed. he went from dads house back to yours and even though he knows your house its still a change. give him a little while to adjust and just dont freak out or say anything other than giving him the responcibility of cleaning it all up ie changing clothes bath changing bed sheets or at least putting soiled ones in the laundry.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Stress.. or UTI A doctor visit may be needed. My 7 year old step daughter still wets the bed. She lives with her mother, and the mother says she has some dry nights at her house. But while she was here this summer she didn't have any dry nights. don't make a big deal out of it. its embarrising.. just get him pullup boxers. put them in the bathroom so it can be private.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:23 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• A different schedule when he was with his dad? Or is there a younger child in either house? It could be an attention thing. My younger brother did that for attention- he wanted to be viewed as the baby.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 11:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010