Road trip with baby...

So, this coming Monday my daughter (who is 11 months old), her father, and myself will be taking a road trip. My baby's father and I are tryiing to work things out, so I'm really excited about this little trip!! But that's not really the point...I would like to know what nay other moms have taken on their roadtrips. We'll only be in the car for about 3-3 1/2 hours & we were planning on leaving at like 11:30 at night because she usually sleeps through the night. Does that sound like a good idea to anyone thats done this before? I'm obviously not saying that if she wakes up were not gonna pull over so I can feed her, but, you know! Any feed back is appreciated!! Thanks!

mandi0986

Asked by mandi0986 at 11:22 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should have no problems esp if your leaving at nite. once she gets in the car and you start rolling down the road she will be out like a light. my and my husband have taken both or kids on cross country road trips since they were born. just like you said she wakes up its a great time to take a small break to feed and change her and stretch your legs.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When we travel, I always sit in the back with DD. But we have a really hard time in the car. I have to sit with her even just to go to the store. If you've got a car sleeper, you'll be golden.

Take plenty of plastic bags. 1 gallon freezer bags are great if you don't have a cloth wet bag. Then you can seal up eewweey stuff.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:55 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Go get a REALLY GOOD toy, and don't let her see it or have it until you are in the car. For our first road trip we got my son a steering wheel toy that lights up, plays music, honks the horn, you name it. Best $15 we ever spent. Make sure it's something that can sit in her lap comfortably, and doesn't have loose pieces that she can drop.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Sounds like a good plan. We take our 10-month old on a four-hour road trip at least twice a month and we ALWAYS leave right at his bedtime and he ALWAYS sleeps the whole time. We feed him, change his diaper and put him in his jammies, and into the carseat with a toy (or even better, if she has a blankie or lovie that she sleeps with). I think he's trained.

Here's the thing: when you get there, you have a couple decisions: if you're still nursing, nurse her and put her to bed with little fussing, funny faces, or playing (if you are able to refuse the cutey's face). Unless she has a stinky, I would not change her diaper. If she's still pretty much in sleep mode, you might be able to just transfer to the crib or pack-n-play. The first couple times we did this, Jake woke early in the morning (thinking perhaps we had just put him down for a nap again), so be prepared for an early wake-up call. Good luck!
    JRB101009

Answer by JRB101009 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 19, 2010