Should school districts have the ability to suspend teachers for NON ILLEGAL actions taken on private time?

"Spanish teacher Ginger D’Amico was suspended after someone posted pictures of her at a bachelorette party with a male stripper.

Brownsville Area School District administrators suspended the Fayette County teacher in January for 30 days after they saw a photo of her, fully clothed, in a suggestive pose with a stripper."

The stripper was NEVER naked, and the teacher involved was NOT the one to take or post the photos. Also, she was the ONLY teacher suspended, but not the only one at the party...

What do you think? Should the school have the ability to do this? After a lawsuit they have allowed her to come back and are paying her both back pay (for days missed) and a settlement. BUT, were they right? Where they wrong?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely not.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• i think they were wrong.
    but she still should try and be more careful about where pictures of her like that end up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It is WRONG! What she does off the clock is no one's business, but her own. As long as her activities are legal, there should be no issue.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think they were wrong. Adults have fun too dammit! lol If they were going to do that, they should have suspended ALL of the teachers that were there instead of singling her out.

nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• No, but they should suspend administrators who go digging into teacher's private lives. I get that if administrators could find this than so could the students, but it doesn't matter.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 11:29 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yes they can. If a teacher's private behavior can in any way cast doubt, he or she can be reprimanded. It is in every teacher contract.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Youngwifey, we aren't asking if they CAN, we are asking if they SHOULD... And NO, in this case it's NOT in her contract... The UCLA got involved and she is receiving a settlement on top of back pay...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I dont think they should be suspended. They ARE grown. HOWEVER the problem comes when they start befriending students and parents and THEN post those images to their pages. I know there was a big problem at my kids school because a parent posted a thread on HER FB page complaining about something at the school...well teachers that she was friends with joined in on the thread and some not right info was given and ALL of them got in trouble and were told to delete parents off their pages. Some did...some didnt but are more careful. So anyway......if they are bringing school people into their pages then I see the problem an the need and place for school discipline. If its purely private I dont.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Wow, so a teacher cannot go out and have a good time???? Someone ELSE took and posted the picture. It had NOTHING to do with her job what so ever. I cannot believe she was suspended for this. That's BULLSHIT.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:47 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Do you mean the ALCU? Did I say it should? No, I said they can and it is in teacher's contracts. If it isn't in hers--good, It is in mine. In fact it has been in every contract I have ever been offered.

Schools can dismiss a teacher for any behavior deemed inappropriate if it casts the school in a poor light. Many schools feel the connection to be poor enough light.

Teachers are held to a higher standard even though they are routinely treated like garbage.
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010