Nearly 1M Kids Possibly Misdiagnosed With ADHD

Does your kid often lose toys, not listen when spoken to directly, forgetful, easily distracted, fidgety, butts into conversations or games?

Many parents might think that kind of behavior is pretty normal and they should in most cases.

But those are also symptoms of ADHD – Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

However, a new study from Michigan State University finds that nearly 1 million children in this country are potentially misdiagnosed with ADHD because they're either very young or immature.

"I think they're probably quite right in that regard because, as any parent knows, kids 3, 4, 5-years-old have a natural level of energy that can easily get misinterpreted as hyperactivity," Dr. Scott Leatherbery, a clinical psychologist with Edgewood Psychological Services, said.

Full article: http://kdka.com/health/ADHD.misdiagnosis.study.2.1865475.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I agree!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I think most of us knew that this was going to happen years ago. It's very sad how quickly society is to label and even drug children so that they may be seen (sitting still) and not heard.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure why this is coming as such a shock. It's been obvious for years. It's easier for a parent to medicate a child than it is for a parent to actually BE a parent and deal with a child. People have kids and once they get past the cute of a newborn and realize this thing grows up and becomes defiant and develops a mind of its own, it's no longer fun. It's much like the puppy that made a cute Christmas present that's no longer cute when it chews your expensive shoes. You can't take a 5 year old to the pound, so you complain to the pediatrician and medicate instead.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 11:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I completely agree with this study. While I do believe that ADHD is a real problem that some children suffer from I highly doubt that the numbers have increased THAT much over the last few years. It's a side effect of our current lifestyle IMO a lot of kids are sitting in school for seven hours a day with shorter recess and then they're sent home with a ton of homework that may or may not get done before dinner and bedtime. And then a parent will bring it up at a checkup and medication/diagnosis happy doctors jump on the ADHD band wagon. I've heard of kids as young as three getting diagnosed and then medicated, that's ridiculous three year olds are supposed to be forgetful, hyper, and hard headed it's why most parents want to skip the toddler years.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• yea and i bet it was during the whole ADHD craze when docs and teachers wanted to label any kid with energy with it. soon you will see that because of the autism craze there will be alot of normal kids that are misdianosed. every kid develops at different rates and every kid has a different level of energy. they need to stop with this whole labeling craze and really know the kids before placeing such diagnoses.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• It's sad, but not surprising. Most parents accept the diagnosis because it's easier to drug the children than it is to take responsibility and work with their children to teach them what actions are acceptable, and give them an outlet for all of the extra energy that ALL children are blessed with.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:31 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• My oldest son was, his school guidance counselor finally figured out that he really is an Asperger's child (on the Autism spectrum but at the opposite end). Kids with Asperger's are often misdiagnosed with ADHD. His doctor will not take away his ADHD diagnosis......he says that while he still has Asperger's he also has ADHD......I don't agree!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I just dont understand how someone can label a child with ADHD...with those symptoms listed above im sure most of our children would be misdiagnosed...their just being children.
    mzQ

Answer by mzQ at 11:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yep. And part of it is because children are no longer supposed to act like children. In the minds of too many, they are to be just miniature adults.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:39 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• NannyB have I ever mentioned that I LOVE most of your responses, and I'm not just kidding.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 11:41 PM on Aug. 17, 2010