home birthing mamas...do you and how often do you take your babies to a pediatrician?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son saw his pediatrician 2 days after his birth and my daughter (due on Halloween) will see the pediatrician within 48 hours as well. After that, my son saw the ped just as any other baby would.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Just because people birth at home doesn't mean they hate doctors or anything, I'm sure there ar some people who do only deliver at home because of that but most of the women I've talked to delivered at home because it is easier and calmer. Why go to a hospital and be put on a twelve hour clock if there's nothing wrong and you can just as easily stay at home and have a less stressful time of it all?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• DD was born on a Wednesday and the following Monday was a holiday, the dr was closed on Monday. I didn't feel up do being in a car on Friday so we waited until Tuesday to take here to the pedi. If there had been any doubts, we would have taken her to the hospital.

We are also non vaxing. We take her to all her well check ups though. We follow a pretty standard schedule of well checks where nothing at all happens (just weight and discussion of how fat my EBF baby is). We really like our pedi.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We have a family practitioner. If it were totally up to me, I'd go twice and only twice. But my husband wanted the well baby checks which I think is unnecessary (height, weight, head is not that hard to keep track of). But the homebirth decision was all mine, so like a willow tree I bend.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with seeing a family practice doctor. I wanted a home birth but it turned out not to work out. My midwife was arrested. I was in labor for 2 days and vomitting blood and decided an unassisted homebirth (1983) was getting too dangerous. I went to the hospital and delivered my baby myself in a dark room LDR with the doctor and my husband quietly watching. No one told the nurses so they wouldn't spoil the mood. We went home 2 hours after. I didn't go to the doctors office until 6 weeks for both of us to be checked. Then we went when I felt the need. We didn't do well baby checks. No immunizations until a few after a year.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010