Any creative ideas on how to discipline a 23mth old?

He is not scared of anything. He just doesn't care. Help!!

graceluc

Asked by graceluc at 11:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is not too young to spank. He knows he has you held hostage and it is up to you to teach him that you are the authority to whom he will answer. He should, by this time, know that when Mommy says "no", that is exactly what she means or he will pay the consequences. You don't need to be creative, but you need to be consistent. You tell him once what to do or what to stop doing. He either obeys or he suffers the consequences for his disobedience. Once you have established your authority and your willingness to enforce it, you will see a changed little boy. He will still test you from time to time, but for the most part, he will show you the proper respect.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Talk to him like he's a big boy. Tell him what you expect. He can understand....
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I don't believe in spanking. What I do believe in is praising your child when he's behaving. THis makes him want to get your reaction again. Don't overreact when he acts out. I have a daughter close to his age and an older son as well and what works is being patient and time out and ignoring the whining. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• mine youngest is 21 months and shes pushing her limits as well. the first time i tell her no, the second is no and time out step (bottom step of the stairs) the third she gets told no, a swat on the diaper and time out.
    its at this age that they start to test you and see how far they can get away with things. my youngest also sees her sister get in trouble and vice versa so i have to keep things consistant. the only difference is that i talk to my oldest about her actions that got her in trouble more because she understands more.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We do 1 - 2 - 3....at 3 depending on the offense there is either a time out, a single smack on the bottom, or she is sent to bed. (My dd is 2 1/2) It is amazing how quick they learn that 3 = NOT GOOD. I can't even remember the last time I got to 3. Usually at 1 she will look at me to see if I am serious, and at 2 she gets with the program
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If we are at home and my daughter is behaving badly I put her in her crib (time out). I have to walk out of the room so she cant see me, otherwise I cave in to the booboo lip.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010