Traveling from TN-VA with a 7 wk old!!!??

My husband is military and we just recently moved to tn. we are due with the little one nov 4th. we want to visit my family in december around christmas time in VA. our little one will only be 7 wks old, we were going to fly but we are new here and we have 2 small dogs. so driving will prob be the best option. what do you think about this with of traveling?? its a 12 hour drive.. its our first baby. so be completely honest, i want to know opinions. we may even have to end up waiting to drive in jan-feb because it may be snowing here... any advice helps. thanks

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 11:38 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i would ride in tha back seat with him, so you could feed him along the way, uless yo bf....take breaks if he gets fussy or needs to be close to mom for a while.....gl
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• that young, baby will probably sleep alot. of course stop for changes and feedings and some air. but, the older they get the more needy they are. my daughter was a little over 1 1/2 last summer when we travelled a 6-7 hour car trip. She first got car sick, and then she was bored, and since she is in an upright seat unlike a baby, it's not too comfortable to fall asleep sitting up with your head drooping forward. I think you will be fine.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:42 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• just bundle the baby up really good and make stops to change and feed him. you should have no problems. but yes because of the dogs it would be easier to drive. we took a road trip from wisconsin to texas when my youngest was two months and it went without a hitch and i was breastfeeding. so when she was hungry we stopped and my oldest and husband took a walk and i fed and changed the baby. btw that was in the winter as well with a cat and a dog. just plan to stop regularly.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Lived in TN my whole life and honey it doesn't snow in Nov! You MAY see snow late Dec but its not very likely. The heavy stuff doesn't come till Jan. At 7 weeks the baby will still be snoozing most of the day so just make sure the car is packed and has a full tank of gas before you put baby in the car. Make sure baby has a dry diaper and a feeding, then set forth! I would try to stop every 2 hrs to feed, diaper and stretch. Also if you can, try to ride right next to baby so he/she can see you. THey're much happier!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• When my middle son was 2 weeks old we went from Pa to SC.....my entire family was going on vacation there and I didn't want to be left at home with a 13 month old and a newborn. It's about a 9-10 hour trip and it took us 13-14 hours. We stopped a lot but then I also had a 13 month old. I sat in the back with them and both of them did fine......my 2 week old did better than the older one. Just make sure that you make more stops.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• We have a bad car rider. At 8 weeks we took an 8 hour trip. We broke it in half and stayed over night. It helped her. I sat in the back with her and played with her.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree - feedings and changes. If you aren't up for riding in the back seat the whole way just get one of those mirrors that you can see the baby while you are riding just to check on her/him. I recommend NOT bundling the baby up unless you take him/her out. My babies all got too hot when bundled. I had a carseat cover was elastic and covered the whole seat. I used that during the winter (i live in Michigan and it is always cold!) and it kept them super-warm. i would uncover them when in the car and they would be comfy and then i would stick a blanket over their little bodies and cover them with the cover when we got outside. i think traveling with a 7 week old will be a piece of cake. it is when they get older that it is a challenge! lol Just wait until potty training!!!!! :) GL mama!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2010