How do you stay positive?

I have a problem with depression and stress. I want to know what happy people do to stay that way.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• i have a problem with anxiety and stress. so i am curious too. :)
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Check out your diet and have your doctor give you a check up.. have him run your blood for allergies... you may find that you're inflamed and not dealing well with your diet. Just a thought.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Stay away from depressing people do things you enjoy try not to let the litte things get you down GL
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I get stressed and depressed at times as well, but I also am happy as well. Have you been seen about your depression? Sometimes it could be a chemical imbalance that needs to be treated, and sometimes counseling helps as well to deal with your thoughts and emotions. I'm saying this because my husband has been depressed for most of his life. We're working through it, but he is on medication and we're seeing how that goes... so far I've seen a HUGE change in him!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• in addition.... I think of happiness as circumstancial and joy as something not dependant on circumstances. Another thing that helps me when I'm stressed is remembering all the things I'm thankful for... and there is always something!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I pray and let God handle my problems. I know also that no stress lasts forever. I try to better myself.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• Yeah, my dh is depressed and depressing as well. Sometimes I try to focus on the positive all day and then he gets home and everything explodes and I feel the depression rising again.
    kristinas8

Comment by kristinas8 (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I am happy in general. I have occasional mood swings that I am working on. I noticed that I am mostly happy when I don't eat any junk food, i.e. eat organic, no pesticides, no sugars. Meditate (practice yoga or listen to guided meditation CDs or there are plenty on youtube), exercise (dance, run, swim), read positive books like Louise Hay, Pama Chodron. Tell jokes, make love, get a massage, small things like this help a lot.
    My mom stay positive by watching movies in which the action took place in wars (but not action movies). The conditions in which those people lived makes her happier about her own conditions.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 11:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• I have a problem with depression and anxiety and stress as well. Other than Zoloft, I think the one thing that helps me is to laugh. If I can't control or help a situation, I find something funny about it or I find something that is just funny, and I laugh my ass off until I feel better. Sometimes a good cry helps too. That's where the tear jerker movies come in handy lol. If nothing works, I eat chocolate. Chocolate is my band aid lol.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:52 PM on Aug. 17, 2010

• lol, maybe you should be talking to people who have battled depression and worked their way out of it. Come to think of it, I bet thats almost all of us! I was diagnosed with severe depression after my divorce a long time ago. It was a constant battle to just get out of bed in the am, to face the day. Counseling helped, group support helped, I took depression meds, but thats not for everybody. Im doing a lot better then i was, I want you to do something tomorrow. If you get up early, go watch the sun rise. Or,,,like I did tonight from dd's bedroom window, I watched the sun set. No, the sun had not actually set at that point, but it slipped below the apt building next door. Its like this 5 minute amazing moments as it sinks away into the night. It just reminds you that time is going by, and that we arent here forever, we only have this one day. I hope this helped, I wanted to do a post on it, but didnt know what to say...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2010