Did the...

Relationship you had with your parents affect the parent you are to your knowledge?

pinkebabii

Asked by pinkebabii at 12:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I believe it did :) I love being a parent. And I especially like trying to remember the things my mom taught me. Of course I have my own twist on things, but they definately had some influence :)
    KricketMother09

Answer by KricketMother09 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, because my dad cheated and drank, I would never do either to my hubby or kids. My mother is a great mother. I hope I can half way live up to her.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know it did. When I got pregnant with my first child, my mother tried to make me have an abortion. I couldn't go through with this. That day, I promised myself that I would never do that to my daughter. My first child was a girl. I made sure that she knew the facts of life ahead of time, and discussed things with her that my mother never said to me. I didn't and still don't want to put her into that position.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes.....I remember when my 1st baby was fussy and days were long she said to enjoy it because I will turn around one day and she will be grown...boy was my mom right! lol! I also became a wonderful cook because I hung out in the kitchen and took in all her advice...my sister never did this, she is 6 yrs older and calls me for all the kitchen advice! I also enjoy having my mom's laid back demeanor about parenting...I pick and choose my battles, control is not really all that important...but trust is everything!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Absolutely! I try hard to be like my mom, and be nothing like my dad, lol. I had one great parent and one crappy parent.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Definitely. My parents didn't do a good job at all. They were abusive, neglectful, etc. I know my mom couldn't really help it sometimes because she's had a lot of health problems and she's bipolar, but my dad and step dad could. I learned a lot about how NOT to raise my chil(ren) from them, as well as what not to do if I want a good relationship with my daughter (and any future children).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes, my grandparents raised me, and because of them, i am very religious, and go big on the holidays, and i am a clean freak...lol
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010