6 month old walking

So my big girl is 6.5 months old and at least 21 pounds, and since day one she has absolutely despised tummy time and any form of crawling. However, she is ready to walk- she holds on to my hands (or the couch) for balance help and will walk all over the place. In fact, the ONLY thing she wants to do is stand and walk. I know some people view this as a bad thing, and I would like to know why. Also, has anyone else had an early walker?

LeiLana80

Asked by LeiLana80 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats great she learned early. just try to let her go at her own pace. the only thing that i would worry about and this is only cuz i myself have this problem is hip development and bowed legs due to the strength of the muscles and bones. but if she is doing it on her own i would let her. my oldest walked at 13 months and my youngest at 8 or 9 months.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My sister walked at 7 months. My youngest son walked at 8 months. As long as you aren't pushing them..when they do whatever they do is right for them. I used to take my son and sit him on his bottom to keep him from walking...I think it only made him more determined to walk more. Don't worry what others say. You know your child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 6 month olds are not supposed to walk. Does she spend a lot of time in a walker?? I would keep her from walking too much, developmentally, their little bones in their legs are not designed for that. Talk to you Ped. for sure.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Let her go at her own pace, definitely. But if she's ready to walk she will, there is nothing you will be able to do to stop her. My dd is just over 7 months old and started "cruising" today by pulling herself along between pieces of furniture. And size probably has nothing to do with it, my dd is a very tiny 13lbs 6 oz.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• when my son was in daycare there was a boy who "cruised" at 7 months and at 9 months was running...some babies have the Genes in them to make them do certain things sooner....This kid BTW was in my sons pre-K class and they will be in kindergarten together..this kid is very athletic ...my son is not...it is all in the gene's
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• As long as you don't put her in a walker follow her lead.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My dd was "cruising" around the same time. She didn't actually start to walk until 9 month
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Babies develop differently I don't see why people view it as a bad thing.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son could walk holding my hands at that time as well. He did not take solo steps until 9 months. She may be farther away from walking until you think. And her standing alot will not hurt her at all. Just let her do as she wishes, dont push her, give her ample time to play on the floor, and dont put her in a walker. She will walk when shes ready :) She has to be able to stand unsupported by anything before she can walk :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010