If you...

knew there was a tendacy of bi-polar disorder in your family would you have thought twice about having kids?

Are you bi-polar and have kids?

I'm ttc #1 but I'm nervous I'll turn into my mom who is bi-polar but refuses medication, or help.

pinkebabii

Asked by pinkebabii at 12:16 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my sister married 26 yrs ago, we didn't know at the time that her husband was bi-polar and OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). They had a daughter 5 yrs later. Just about three years ago, her daughter was diagnosed with it as well. She was put on medication. After a while she stopped taking it. Now they have a hard time getting along.

So my advice to you is continue your medication. As long as you take it, you have a better chance of dealing with it. GOOD LUCK!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:10 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My mother is Bi-polar, & doesn't take meds for it. Shes loony, & I have nothing to do with her & In alot of ways I was afraid of being coming like her. I made sure that I didn't when I found out I was pregnant. Ive worked my tail off to make sure of it. my son knows mommy loves him, no matter what. Which has been a major struggle for me at times, since I have OCPD............ Its not easy, but having a disorder like that doesn't mean you can't be a mom, or a good mom, it just means you have to work a little harder....
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have depression and anxiety, and I was worried about having children too. Honestly, my first 2 months were a living hell. I took great care of my son, but my own health was terrible. Slowly I came out of it. I had professional help, always take my meds, and I think that because I am a mom now, I do EVERYTHING in my power to be well. I work much harder at it than I ever did before, and I am feeling the benefits. I have never been happier. I think that when you KNOW you have issues (or that it runs in your family) then you can be prepared by educationg yourself and having a plan in place in case you start having problems. Find yourself a therapist NOW. Talk with him/her about your concerns and ask for information about warning signs you should be looking out for. And then if you do have problems later, you already have a therapist you can go to that knows you. Good luck!!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 3:00 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my mom is also bipolar and yes that was a factor when i was young and thought i would never have kids. i dont have bipolar. but i am very careful not to act like her in anyway (she was not a great example for me --- so sometimes i feel like i am working from scratch while other ppl with good mother figures Know what to do - what their moms did ... ) My son is 4 but the gene seems to run in the women in my family so i was glad to hear he was a boy at first... every family has issues. it is how you deal with those issues that defines what kinda parent you are. my son's homelife is not like my upbringing. he lives in a happy home, abuse free, loving, accepting, we teach him how to do things without getting mad --- You can do it! I am doing it ,,, and no i didnt plan on getting preggo but i was married so ... yeah ... my son is the absolute BEST thing that has ever happened to me!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010