How can i get my toddler to stop cussing?

My little boy cusses all the time like an adult and i just dont know what to do anymore

jakesmom25

Asked by jakesmom25 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't laugh at him and tell him no whenever he does it, just like when he doesn't something else that you don't agree with. Also don't let him hear anymore cuss words if you can prevent it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• explain to him that those are bad words and they can hurt peoples feelings and should not be used. then watch what you say when he is around or can hear.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Both of my baby boys do it I have talk to them. But when they hear their daddy cussing all the time then what.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 12:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• see thats my problem i correct him but his dad and granparents laugh and do it in front of him it makes me so mad and embarrassed
    jakesmom25

Comment by jakesmom25 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If he uses the words 'appropriatly' then teach him better words to say. For example my son at two learned to say crap every time he dropped something- learned it from me, but when I caught him saying it more and more, I taught him to say uh-oh instead. He'd already know that word, but had been misled by my use of crap instead of uh oh. :) Other wise a light smack on the mouth and a firm no has worked for my older kids if they say something inappropriate. I t depends on his age though. Ask him where he's learning such words though if it's not anything you say in your home.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• and as far as your family saying words- apologize for their bad behavior in front of them by saying, "Grandma is very sorry, she knows better than to say such bad words in front of you." Then see who gets embarrassed.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Ignore him, it will usually stop. Also, maybe nobody cussing in front of him anymore would help. They seem to pick up the bad stuff quickly.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• if others are laughing at him, you are in for a hard time! i found with one of mine, that just correcting him nonchalantly works very well!
    my son today said shucks a mucks (that is fun to say). he said the "f" word a few times, so we gave him a substitute word.
    do your best to not let him hear bad words
    give him another word to use instead
    don't over react
    don't laugh
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• the grandparents laugh? wow thats nuts... Ignore them but if they laugh that seeks attention. Who is cussing? Limits cussing if its from you guys.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I will admit I cuss. I don't mean to and when I catch myself I try not to. So of course my kids pick up on the bad words. The first time they say it I tell them no those are grown up words. When my oldest was 4 he used to cuss a lot and I would put a tiny smidge of dish soap under his tongue. That got him to quit and he calls all bad words E words now. My other children don't really cuss unless by accident. My 3 year old was playing a game with imaginary sharks and said to me Jesus will kick that sharks ass mommy. I so wanted to laugh but I told him that he knows better than to say E words and to atleast say butt. The soap works though. If you have to use the same punishment for the other adults.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2010