Does anyone have ideas for easing my 5 yr old daughter's anxiety about rainstorms?

We live in the Arizona desert and it hardly rains here so maybe it's because it's not a usual occurrence. Every time it rains, she says she doesn't like it. Whe it happens at night, she screams and cries in her bedroom until I go check on her. She insists I stay with her. I have tried lots of things and usually do end up putting her back to sleep. I would love for this not to stress her out.

AzAngie

Asked by AzAngie at 12:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• well my mom used to tell me that it was just god bowling and the angels and him where just bouncing around so much that it made the clouds leak. and thunder and lightening were the pins being hit. i did that with my DD and now she loves thunder storms.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• During a mild storm, take her out in it so she knows what it's all about. I took my 3 yr old out dancing in the rain one day and she loved it! Both my older two love rainstorms now. :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't know anything about this, but here's a bump! GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It's kind of funny that you ask that question tonight. We just went through a very loud thunderstorm and my 11 yr old son doesn't like them. He hides under the covers and is afraid of them. I try to get his mind on something else but it doesn't work always. I look forward to seeing some of the answers that you get.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Good luck! I'm dealing with that fear with all 3 of my kids. Have you tried asking her why she's scared or what she thinks will happen? Maybe knowing why storms scare her or what she thinks will happen would help you figure out how to help her not be scared. My oldest is scared that the storm will cause the power to go out & the younger 2 are just scared b/c the older one is & they think if big sibling is scared, they should be too. We get storms on an almost daily basis in the summer, & I'm working on showing the older one that there's nothing to worry about by showing that most of the time, the power stays on & that, on the rare occassion where it goes out, that nothing bad happens & the power company fixes it as soon as they can
    SleuthMaria

Answer by SleuthMaria at 1:02 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I tell my kids that its just the Angels playing a game and the thunder happens when they score points. I like to watch lightening its so neat. They pretty much calmed down about storms.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you take her out in the rain and make her face it... all its going to do is make her wet. when she understands there is No danger in a rainstorm when you are inside - cant get wet - the fear will subside.. we have to face fears to overcome them imo...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I'm going to try some of your ideas next time it rains here.
    AzAngie

Comment by AzAngie (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think you should let her read a book about how the clouds make rain, what and how thunder and lightning happens. I think once you break it down to what it truly is and not some scary, mysterious noise it will help her be less afraid. And I also think when it rains (not a storm) you should take her out and let her play in the rain, even puddle jumping! GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2010