I don't tell my parrents I love them......

But I do. My 10 and 7 year old asked me why I don't. I tell my parents I love them in cards. I don't know how to show them affection. They are never affectionate with me. Never hugging or anything, but I do know they love me. I guess my question is how do I let my kids know this is ok or not? With my kids I hug them all the time and tell them everyday I love them. Now, they hug my kids and tell them they love them, just not with me. I'm ok with that my kids are not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• lovin,,,lol,,,my mom moved 3000 miles away from me over 15 yrs ago to be closier to my sister and her kids. My sis ended up getting a divorce and she moved in with my folks. Dad has since passed on, and my mom and sis are driving each other nuts. My mom took a trip to Chicago to visit my niece and she hasnt returned, she is MIA. I feel just like lovin, my mom and I never where close. But now that she is missing,,lol,,I know she is at my nieces house in Chicago.,,I have this need to check on her and make sure shes ok. There is a bond there no matter what, and yes there is love there, no matter what. Next time your mom visits, hug her and say these three simple words,,"love ya mom" do it in front of your kids. Do it so that your kids see that you are ok with reaching out and showing love to your mom. It will be so important later for them to see this now. Doesnt matter if she says it back, you are doing this for your kids...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:32 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My parents never said that to me growing up that I remember. Last year I was with a friend and we went to see my mother. My mother hasn't been well in quite a while. She told my friend that she loved me. My friend asked me later why I had a weird expression on my face after she said that. I told her that it was the first time that I recalled that she said she loved me. I told her that I didn't remember her saying it growing up. But, since then I try to tell my mother more often than I love her and she does me too. That should encourage you to say it more than you used to. Sometimes hearing it means more than you think.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't tell my mom I ove her but I do my dad because she doesnt tell me and he does. Maybe you should just start saying it. Everyone loves to hear it and say it.
    pinkebabii

Answer by pinkebabii at 12:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I hate my mother.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't know anything about this, but here's a bump! We were always very loving towards one another with lots of hugs and kisses. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Initiate a hug? Perhaps your parents have changed since you were younger. A hug might have been ackward to them then. But now that your all grown up with your own family, living in a different house, they could really enjoy a hug. Or if thats too ackward, next time you have a phone conversationw ith them, end it with "I love you"
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I never say it either. I do love her, kinda. But we've always had our differences. I know she loves me but in a different way. My mother is very self-serving.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• the first time i remember my dad telling me he loved me was when i was 32 years old. it may or may not have happened before that, but the fact that it sticks in my mind so hard tells you it wasn't much if at all before that. i know that he did love me before but both my parents were weird for a while about expressing love with words and hugs although they did show it in other ways. frankly i just would hug them and tell them i loved them, regardless of the fact that i felt my mother stiffen frequently when i hugged her and the closest dad would get to responding was "you too, kid." when i was 32 i moved across the country and i think my dad was as surprised by his response as i was. if you just walk up to your parents and hug them and tell them you loved them, they might respond in kind if you are comfortable doing so. it's not bad to try and show your children love is unconditional and doesn't depend on response.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010