Braxton hicks...?

I thought false contractions aren't suppose to hurt? Ya know, I don't remember what contractions or labor feels like, it's been 5 yrs since I've been through that. But these ... false? contractions hurt. My back is killing me and it's all coming back to me now, which is kinda scary. I didn't know false contractions felt like this. But yeah, question is in the first sentence :/ Are they suppose to hurt?

BAR427

Asked by BAR427 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• of course swollen ankles didn't hurt when I was preg with my son either. And when my ankles swell now, they usually hurt. :( like right now. Oh well.... I'm gonna lay back and put my feet up. They'll be better by morning.
    BAR427

Comment by BAR427 (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You could be in back labor. How far along are you? Are the contractions regular?
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Honestly... as stupid as this may sound... I'm not sure how to time them, lol. But I think I'm about to figure it out. I'm 37 weeks. got 3 weeks left.
    BAR427

Comment by BAR427 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If you're 37 weeks along, then you are counted as full term, so you might want to start keeping track of how often you feel the pains, how long they last before they let go, etc.

But yes, Braxton Hicks can and do hurt. It's basically your uterus getting in shape for the real deal.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I do believe they can hurt. I wouldn't think they hurt as much as the real thing, though.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ok mama! hooray!
    put your feet up, and drink some water.
    drink some more water and lay down!
    i am not sure ecactly how to time the contractions either, and i have had 5 kids!
    i wrote down the time at the beginning of each one, and when it ended.
    so i got how many in an hour, how long they lasted, and how far apart.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thank you... I'm going to try to time them. I mean I figure that's how I'll know for sure too is if they are regular or not. But like I said, back is killing me! And stomach is tightening, and now she's pushing down, but she seems to like to do that. It hurts though! Anyhow..... I'm going to try timing them and relaxing and such. Hopefully they go away if it's not the real deal. If it is, as long as she's ready, I'm ready too! hehe Thanx everyone :)
    BAR427

Comment by BAR427 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Your stomach is tightening with the contactions? Yeah, I would start timing them. Sounds like labor to me. Good luck!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Shit, honey. You're in labor. And your back hurting is probably back labor, which means your baby's front is facing the same way as your belly, which is putting pressure on your spine.

Try getting down on your hands and knees for a bit. The heaviest part of your baby is the back and that will help your baby turn to where her back is facing the same way as your belly and take the pressure off your back.

Oh, and call your doctor. Generally, when the contractions are about 5 minutes apart and the pain level is getting to be close to unbearable is about the time they want you to hightail yourself to your hospital.
    PaganMommy04

Answer by PaganMommy04 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Oh my gosh!!!! You're gonna have a baby!!!!! good luck :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010