How to disciplin a 2 year old who doesnt care what you say or do?

jakesmom25

Asked by jakesmom25 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first of all they only want you to think they don't care what you say or do!
    second of all...you are MOM!
    maybe i have them switched?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have a 17 yr old that I'm wondering the same question, lol...the toddlers are not much different then the teen yrs. they are just at different heights and the words are not the same...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If i tell him to stop he tells me to shut up if i put him in time out he sits there great and gets up when i say then does the same thing again that he just got in trouble for when i spank him he laughs at me idk what to do
    jakesmom25

Comment by jakesmom25 (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Maybe take away the things he loves the most
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 11:22 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• what i do with my son is if he does something he is not supose to do i will put him in time out. if he does it again i take his toys away and he cant play or if he is watchign something i turn it off. and if he does it again then i sit himdown adn he has to stay there. but usually he only gets to the time out he knows whats next. but i think if he is telling you to shut up then he is listening to someone say it so he might think its ok to do if he hears someone say it you need to be consistant so he knows his not supose to do it. if you put him in time out make sure he sitts there with no toys or anything make him say sorry or give you a hug and let him knwo that is a very wrong thing to do.and if your spamking him and helaughs h might think your playing with him try using the spanking only when he really needs it so he knows its something serious. im not very sure about that i dont use that method but go 4 what works
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Oooh I feel you! I like to say my son's favorite activity is ignoring me lol. Time outs don't work for him either, and he doesn't value anything enough to care if I take it away yet. So, I've learned that the best method so far is literally getting down to his level and making him look at me and ask "excuse me? did you hear what I said?" and then usually he will do what I ask. It is very trying to have to get up and correct him every few minutes especially when I'm in the middle of doing something but it's the only thing I know to do. I will be the first to admit that no, I don't always have 100% control over my strong-willed 2 year old with a complete mind of his own, but it's a work in progress so hopefully with consistency he'll get the hang of it lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010