Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The student loan place will not change my last name?

I got remarried five years ago. I still have student loans, but the company will not change it. This is my third move and I do not want to have to put my old last name on the change of address form. I did notify the student loan place of my impending move, but they still won't change the last name. So, can I legally just not get the mail forwarded for that name this time??


Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Just an FYI, not putting your old name on the change of address may not keep mail in the old name from being forwarded. I got married in 1998 & moved in 2003. I did NOT put the old last name on the change of address & STILL get mail in the old name. It started with forwarded mail saying forwarding & address change requested on the envelope & now it's just mail from businesses that had forwarded or bought my old name from a business that had. I'm thinking I'll just start returning them to sender stating "No one by that name at this address." It IS true afterall.

    As far as changing your name w/the student loan people goes, seems odd that they're being so difficult. Here, they changed my named over the phone with NO proof of the name change needed. I think I'd call & ask to speak with a supervisor & ask them what's needed to change your name on your acct w/them. If they don't tell you, ask for their supervisor & keep going up

    Answer by SleuthMaria at 1:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • You need to sumbit your marriage cirtificate to the loan place. That's what I had to do.

    Answer by lmjess at 12:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Since you probably got your loan before you got married, the reason they probably won't change is because you signed the loan in your maiden name. They probably have to go by the name that was on the loan at that time.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Get a notarized copy of your marriage certificate and ask them where you need to send it. Then send it Certified!! Once you know they have received it take any correspondence you receive from them there after and it return to them stating that is not you name, it has legally changed and they have been notified of that change. And, if they want to correspond with you they can get it right. That's what I had to do any ways!!


    Answer by Morgain at 1:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • until you get the answer you need. Or better yet, go over there w/your ID & Marriage Certificate & tell them you want to change your last name on your acct w/them. If the first person can't help, ask to talk to someone else & just keep talking to different people until someone CAN & DOES help you. Good luck!

    Answer by SleuthMaria at 1:45 AM on Aug. 18, 2010