Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a Mom of two that is being abused; I need help getting us out of this situation. What resources are available to me here in Florida? Please help; I can't take this anymore

Answer Question

Asked by Asandegren at 9:21 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Call the cops and get a lawyer. Then find somewhere and leave with the cops with you. Good Luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Try going to a womens shelter ! They help women and children in that situation .

    Answer by katherine4 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Go here. and/or call here, the National Domestic Violence Hotline at
    1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
    they have tons of information and can help you. The domestic violence hot line will even help you come up with a plan. be very careful. he might check the compuetr and phone records. Go to your public library and use the computer there, if you can.

    Answer by ny.chica at 9:50 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • what part of fl? I live in the panhandle. We have shelter house. call the number mentioned above and they will give you your local shelter #. Live in peace.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Call the United Way, they are #211 in this area and probably everywhere - they will tell you and all their info is free. Or call the closest church, or the police.

    Answer by irishcoffee at 10:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • Call the police. They will help you get out of there, and help you get what you need to survive. I have been there and I know it is scary, but you have to get out of there for you and for your kids. No one has the right to mistreat you. The cops will give you advice on where to go. Call your local health department, they should be able to direct you to a shelter. The shelter will give you a place to stay until you can find somewhere else to live. The biggest thing is, once you are out, stay out. I went back and had to start all over at leaving. You can do it, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. PM me if you need to talk.

    Answer by firstimemom4049 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).

    Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • I live in Texas and therefore am unable to answer questions about Florida, but I want to applaud you for recognizing that you are in an abusive situation, whatever form of abuse you are suffering. Your man will try to get you back no matter what, but once you're out, stay out, and don't look back. It will be hard, but you will be saving your own as well as your children's lives.

    God bless you, and good luck!

    Answer by rhope4 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • All of the moms who answered this ? r absolutely right.The 1st step was realizing ur being abused & that u need 2 do what u need 2 do 4 u & ur children. And like firstimemom4049, I've been there. If u want 2 talk, send me a message. I'll b happy 2 offer ne advice or support. Lastly, ur abuser only has as much power as u allow him & ur alot stronger thank u think when it comes 2 protecting ur cildren. Be Strong. I'll say a prayer 4 all of u.

    Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

  • i have been there too, and everyone is right. but i would say get out first, then call. leave quickly when he is not home or if you and your kids are out without him just don't go back home. go to the police station if you have to and they will help. and don't ever stay thinking that things will change, they won't.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.