• In the Spotlight:

can you mix different types of formula?

my cousin's 2 month old is on a regular formula and having problems pooping. mom wants to know if she could mix a scoop of soy formula in to help.
my son is breastfed so i have no idea what to tell her. she's using gripe water and karo syrup as well.

KyleeTrogolo

Asked by KyleeTrogolo at 12:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you cannot mix them.

Also do not give babies Karo. It can cause botulism. I would tell her to stop immediately.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:01 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• To alleviate constipation, give a little prune juice. As far as choosing soy or milk based formula, she should really consult her pediatrician.
    Glamourina

• One or the other on the formula. Karo syrup should NOT be given to babies.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• her pedi told her to give karo syrup. awesome.
    thanks ladies.
    KyleeTrogolo

Comment by KyleeTrogolo (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Karo syrup is an old method and is no longer being used. That pedi needs to get with the times =P. Check out this link.

GL!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/karo-syrup-for-constipation/AN01826
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:15 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• do not give apple juice it is a binder...but watered down prune juice should do the trick...if you mix formula it will just make things worse...
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:25 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• don't do it. i was giving my 3 week old one kind of formula and my sister who watches her during the day was giving her another kind and it made my daughters poop very hard, like a log. we solved the problem by making sure we both had the same kind of formula.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If the problem is the milk formula then just adding soy to it isn't going to help. If he's chronically constipated then switching formulas full time is likely in order. Poor baby.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't mix formulas. I agree with "mnt_2_b_mommy ".
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I mixed formulas after he was 6 months old. The pedi said it was fine as long asit was half and half. But mine was mixing store with name brand. Not milk based with soy. I dont think i would do that.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010