What would you do if your Doctor didnt tell you?

Two years ago my OBGYN neglected to tell me I had a tumor on my ovary *we will call her Peggy*. I called for the results of the ultrasound and she exclaimed "well it says in your charts you had a large cyst on your r. ovary"

Within a month, the cyst was a tumor that was the size of a softball. It had twisted and I had to have an emergency surgery by a different OBGYN/surgeon *we will call her Nancy* After that I felt so angry at dr. peggy I asked the OBG who preformed the surgery to be my OBG. She agreed, and 5mo after that delievered my healthy baby.

Recently I went to Dr. Nancy will horrible pain around my ovarys. she said it sounded like Endomitriosis. So we did a laproscopy. She said she found nothing, that the pain was mental. She sent me home with photo's from the surgery. After reviewing them, I found a cyst! I called and she confirmed it, but said its nothing to worry about- thats why she didnt tell me.

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 1:34 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• I've had a lot of pain for several years. The only thing that came up consistently was ovarian cysts. I was told by several dr's that ovarian cysts were a normal part of the cycle. However, mine were growing, 4 + centimeters. I finally found an obgyn to do surgery. he did give me pics of the surgery. 2 weeks later I was back in the ER in pain. Ct scan showed more cysts. It's called Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It is normal for people to have a cyst on thier overies. Little ones, which are benign. If a doctor told you every single little thing, you would be lost. If you want them to tell you everything tell them. Would I be mad? Yes I would, becasue it turned into something. But it is normal to have a few cycts. Just not big ones.
    silks_bunny

Answer by silks_bunny at 1:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would sue for every penny she has. I would also bring this issue to the attention of the State Physician Licensing and file a report on that doctor!!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:38 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was completely shocked! She bashed the last doctor (dr. peggy) so bad for not telling me that I had a cyst. Now she does the same thing!! She was the Dr. that removed the tumor!

What made me angry was the fact that she sat my husband and I down and told me that the pain was mental. That there was no actual stimulus causing the pain, but rather it was my mind telling me I had pain that didnt exisit... That I need to learn to cope with my pain, and not take pain meds.
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 1:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• This is why people are losing faith in the medical community, because they do this crap. That is horrible. I would be making a compliant and filing something with the State Physician Licensing Dept on the Doctors. We have to speak up for our rights.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i don't know if there is any legal action you can take against her for that because i don't know anything about the law. but i would be pissed too. it seems like it would be common sense to inform you of another cyst if she removed the cyst that turned into a tumor. she probably didn't even thoroughly read your chart/history when telling you nothing was wrong. obviously, you should never see that doctor again. maybe report her to the proper medical authorities so they can re-evaluate her practices as a doctor. she might have a few other cases out there that could use some review.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• She should have told you. Yes she is right in most cases it is nothing ot worry about and will go away on its own but it does cause pain for some people and she should have told you about it and what you could do for the pain. I have had ovarian cyst as a teen and the pain was not fun at all.

FInding a good doctor takes hard work, you need to ask everyone you know ask other female doctors who they see. ask your friends who they have seen and who is bad and who is good ask what stories they have heard from others. By doing this my friends and I have all ended up with the same 2 doctors, we all either were formally seeing or had heard about the same really bad doctor (who nolonger practices) and we all found the 2 we all curently see. no one in 10 years has had further problems. but you have to really research and investigate doctors. I use the same pediatrician as my ob uses for his kids.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ALso just a side note I have found that female ob's tend to not make a big deal about things that male obs will make a deal about. female doctors dont find some things quite as important as males, thats JMHO and my experience and its why only my general practitioner is female.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• @myself- that is assuming they are a OK, non worrying size upon examination.
    silks_bunny

Answer by silks_bunny at 1:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The cyst that is on there now is relatively small.. It just made me feel bad that she said my pain was mental. I told her the pain would wake me up in the middle of the night- how can I be faking that? And if there was a cyst (even though it is small) OR any abnormality where I am feeling this pain, I feel like she should have told me about it.
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010