Should I make a Dr appt?

My 2 yr old has had diarrhea for 3 days now. His mood hasn't changed, he is still eating and drinking just fine but the diarrhea is giving him bad diaper rash. It is hurting him so much! I use plenty of cream and stuff but it just won't go away. He hasn't had fever or anything...should I make a Dr appt or just wait a couple more days??

LovelyMother88

Asked by LovelyMother88 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would call the office and see what they recommend. Just make sure you keep him hydrated!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The recommendation is that you should see a doc if you have had diarrhea for 3 days or more. I would really stick to this if it's a young child. At the very least it is worth calling the doc and seeing what they want you to do!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Is he getting any teeth? Molars perhaps? My baby always gets bad diarrhea when she teethes.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would take him...he may need a prescription diaper rash cream...try putting him on the BRAT diet...bananas,rice,applesauce and toast...is he teething too?
    sarahosk

Answer by sarahosk at 1:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Also, I know it sounds wierd, but Cornstarch helped my baby's bottom to heal. I know that Johnson & Johnson came out with a new baby powder that has cornstarch in it. I don't know what it is about the Cornstarch but it worked wonders.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• probably a yeash rash. I'd call the dr to see if they want to see him, but in the meantime you can mix lotrimin af, hydrocortizone cream, and neosporyn and cover his bum with that and then apply a thick coat of balmex or desitin. It should help tremedously.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 2:47 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Creams won't help with this, cream just gets absorbed. Put vaseline on to protect his skin. That will help with the runs. Still ought to see the doc though.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It never hurts to call and ask the nurse or doctor what they think. Usually if there is no fever they say just wait it out.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My rule of thumb is after three days they either get better or it's time to call the doctor.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you can call your doctor to see what it is that you should do it could just be a virus and either way they dont give yo any medicine for that my son whose also 2 has had those where its a virus usually i take him so the doctor can prescribe soemthign for his rash they seem to work bette than the onse i buy in the store. usually when he has diarriha the regular creams dont work they also tell me to make sure he is being hydrated and amke him give him the pedialyte thing
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2010