traveling on amtrak with a 2 year old

so next month I plan on traveling on amtrak train with my 2 year old. I bought him his own seat next to me. Just wondering how many of you have done this. It will only be for 5 hours no overnight thing. just looking for some traveling advice.

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 1:57 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Travel

• Oh scary memories i did this with a 3 year old and a 3 month old and it was overnight, we had our own room but it was hard with two kids and balancing meals.

you only have one and its a short trip so i think you would be okay. first thing to do is find out which car the playroom is located in, this was a lifesaver for me, i had to walk the kids back 6 cars but it was worth it. take some toys and snacks and hopefully you can keep your child interested in the sights outside. also pack light, it makes it easier to move around ont he train that way.

the only other problem we had was my 3 y/o keeping his balance while we moved and then when we were finally off the train we had that feeling of moving while standign still for a few hours.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I haven't a clue about this, but here is a bump. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:59 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I can't give you advice about traveling with a child, but I took Amtrak from NYS to MN. You're taking a short trip so I just suggest snacks and things to keep your child occupied. I honestly had no clue Amtrak had a car with a playroom in it, but it makes sense! GL mama.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 2:29 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I didnt know amtrak had a playroom in it also. Maybe its only major trains. I will have to ask at the station. thanks! My son loves trains (or as he calls them "Choo Choo Cars") So I think i will put him near the window and he can look out. I am assuming he might even take a nap on the train. I need to bring a car seat because I am going to see my grandparents and will need one for their car. Do you think I should put his convertible car seat next to the window and have him look out? do you think I should keep him buckled the whole time?
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 2:33 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• where are you going. make sure you take along some of his favorite toys, snacks,. you may not have to keep him strapped in the whole way. make sure you have a window seat so he can look out.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 4:04 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• going from Reno, NV to Sacramento, CA
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• make sure to keep him occupied lol
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:36 AM on Aug. 19, 2010