how do you deal with a head strong 15 year old who is used to being her own boss without screaming?

she is unhappy because she had to move, go to a new school and now has rules.

heather316

Asked by heather316 at 2:19 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Why is a 15 yr old being their own boss in the first place?? You have to deal with it now if you are the one who let her become that way..
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 2:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• this must be hard on her give her time she will follow all the rules you know her past, just be there for her love her grow with her in the end she will thank-you,it won't happen over night but it will happen, right know she's broken inside ,
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 3:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• not to be mean, just honestly, tell her "deal with it. Life is fulla changes better get used to it right now."
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Don't yell at her....try whispering. It is amazing what whispering does. Also give her a list of rules with consequences for breaking the rules. Find something fun that the two of you can do together where you can also talk to her. She needs an outlet for her frustrations too.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:46 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• When I was 15 my parents moved me across the United States from California to Nebraska. I hated them for at least a good year if not longer when that happened. All they ever said was get over it, which for me only made me madder that my parents didn't seem to care how I felt about anything. If it was me I would talk to her, let her express her anger and why she is unhappy. While you can't fix it by moving back etc...you can help her deal with the changes and the only way to do that is to talk to her and get her to open. If you have to apologize to her for moving then do it and then tell her you're sorry that her life is different now but it impacts everyone and you want to work together as family to adjust. That her simply closing off, being angry and fighting is changing things or helping her move forward. Even at 15 children want reassurance and guidance from their parents.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Honestly, if she's 15 and already "been her own boss" then there's not a whole hell of a lot that you can do; if she doesn't like the rules you attempt to lay down, she'll simply ignore them and do whatever she wants (as she always has).
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• patience, consistency, discipline/rules... and the occasional valium ;-)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I wouldnt cop out and say she will just do it anyway. That isnt being the parent...
    It will be very hard but in the end she is a child and you have control of the things she likes (tv, phone, computer, friends, allowance, etc) so just take control. She wont want to be unhappy and without things for long.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2010