31 weeks and 3 days pregnant at how many weeks did you gave birth (VERY CONFUSED PLEASE ANSWER)?

I am 31 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I was checking my calendar and it seems am going to be 8 months next saturday and I got so confused because my due date supposed to be in October 17 two months from now I don't understand how am supposed to give birth at 10 months? Some advice please so confused

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you count every 4 weeks as a month, then there are 10 months. but there's always a few extra days at the end of the month i guess.

i think they say 9 months because 37 weeks is considered full term & hasn't yet reached exactly ten months yet. anyway, i delivered all 3 of my babies either exactly at 40 weeks or a couple days short.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• you are pregnant for 10 months hahaha. idk where the whole 9 month thing came from but an average pregnancy is 40 weeks which is 10 months, but you're full term at 37 weeks which is 9 months
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yeah I agree with the mommys above. Your pregnant for a full 9 months and the beginning of 10 months. Some people go to 42 weeks which is 10 1/2 months. It is very confusing, especially for people who have never had children.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:31 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Every baby is a little different. We hit the 42 week mark and decided just to induce. I guess some babys are more comfortable than others =/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:36 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, for the first two weeks of pregnancy or so, you are not yet pregnant, because they calculate based on the first day of your last period, not the ovulation date. And generally the earliest a women finds out is when she misses her period, so that is usually about 2 weeks after ovulation. So from that point on, most women will give birth during the ninth month, meaning anywhere from the first day of the ninth month or the last day of the ninth month. In addition to that, the majority of wome give birth during or before 42 weeks, with a small percentage of women going beyond that. So 10 months? Nine months? It is solely based on how it is calculated. :)

The bottom line is that your baby and your body will give birth when they are both ready. Your baby will secrete a hormone signaling your body that your baby's lungs are mature, which starts labor. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• pregnancy lasts 40 weeks - so yes, technically, 10 months. many babies are born prior to 40 weeks, in the 9th month. Some, like both of my kids, are born at 42 weeks, so yes, I was 10 months pregnant when I had both my kids.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:13 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• mommaofH2 is totally right!
    I will never understand why they say 9 months... even if you calculate from the start of the last period its 9 1/2 months
    no wonder those last few weeks seem to go on forever!
    Hang in there though, you're almost to the finish line :D
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:09 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The average pregnancy is 40 weeks, which is 10 months. Its 9.5 months of pregnancy, and 2 weeks for ovulation or whatever....lol.If you count back 38 weeks from your due date thats the day you got pregnant :) I have no clue why the 9 months thing. My son was born at 39 weeks (induction). The closer you can get to 40 the better :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• at 37 weeks but my baby has lung issues cause of it
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 4:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It is true that you are actually pregnant for 10 months. However, 9 months is considered full term so they usually let you deliver anytime after that.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 5:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010