constipated??

Is it possible for rice-cereal or oatmeal-cereal to constipate babies? My daugther is five months old and recently started solids (she is EBF besides solids), she has really only had stage one foods, which is fruits and a couple veggies.. it doesnt seem like those things would constipate her, as they make it easier to go usually. What can I do to help her, and why is she constipated? Thanks!

kate_jocelyn

Asked by kate_jocelyn at 9:29 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when i first started feeding zoie rice cereal my mom told me to make sure she gets plenty of water so she doesnt get constipated. i dont really give her water but when i do notice her poops getting more stiff than usual i give her some baby apple juice (gerber/beech nut) mixed with water in a bottle. my pedi told me baby apple juice is a good way to help with the going to the bathroom, i'd say yes rice cereal can possibly constipate a baby.
    xhxcpinupx

Answer by xhxcpinupx at 9:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Oatmeal is thicker than rice cereal, and would def make a young baby under 6mths constipated. Because it takes longer for ur baby to digest it--IF she is under 6mths. if ur baby is 6+mths, then try giving her apple juice. I think prune juice sounds gross so i dnt give it to my son when he has to poop. Apple juice works jus as good. give her about 2oz of it mix with the 1-2 oz of h20, and about a few hrs, she'll be pooping. maybe a explosive one. lol. those are always fun!
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 7, 2008