if you are having gues for dinner...

i am having two couples over for dinner.. I am not much of a cook so i will make what i know i can surely make with out a hitch...and that is some fried chicken and fish. but i was wondering how much chicken to make. I will be using chicken legs and chicken wings. there will be 5 adults , 2 kids ages 10 and 6 plus a 3 year old and a 2 year old. What do you think? i don't want to over cook or under cook. i prepared some chicken and there are about 60 pieces. im thinking that is way too much. plus i'm having fish too.. is it too much..what number would be good. Keep in mind that we are in our fasting days from sun up to sun down and really only have time for one meal after the sun sets due to having to go to out right after dinner and everyone will go directly home.

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 3:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would say 2-4 pieces of chicken per adult and only 2 pieces of chicken for the children. Fish is good and it's good variety just in case someone wants both or just chicken, if your fasting I think it would be agood idea to make enough for everyone to get full and not eat for a while.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Two pieces per person, plus one piece for kids... Some kids are picky and will only eat drumsticks, so be prepared for that. I would also make 6-8 additional pieces. Chicken is easier to serve because a lot of people, especially kids, do not like fish and do like chicken. So I would still make the appropriate amount of chicken just in case you need it.

So safely, I would make 20-22 pieces of chicken.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:14 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If the ten year old is a boy, I would consider him an adult when figuring how much food to make. From my experience, ten year old boys eat a lot.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:58 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• An adult can eat a dozen wings, so could a 10 year old. So the numbers could be way off. What are you serving with it? Is there going to be appetizers that will fill before the chicken and fish are served. I would rather overcook than undercook. Potatoes, rice, macaroni are great fillers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:12 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i am going to make mac and cheese, a salad and there will be samosas(beefpatty like pastry) and dessert, some type of cake and some kind of melon.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 4:55 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I assumed you were going to be making other things to do with it as well, as it sounds like a dinner party. The amount guests COULD eat and the average serving always varies, but when I am throwing dinner parties (which I do 4-5 times a year at least) I do not over-cook. There is nothing appropriate about over-eating at someone elses house and feeling like crap afterwards. However, you do want to make enough so guests can be comfortable full. I would suggest you serve a big bowl of do-it-yourself salad and plenty of bread/rolls as well... sort of what you mentioned above. If you have all of this to offer your guests as well as dessert, 2 pieces of chicken will be plenty. You have a lot of fillers on your menu, there is no reason why that amount shouldn't suffice.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 2 peices per adult I would say and 1 per child.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010