If you had surgery to diagnose pain, and your doctor neglected to tell you something they found in your body, what would you do? adult content

Two years ago my OBGYN neglected to tell me I had a tumor on my ovary *we will call her Peggy*. I called for the results of the ultrasound and she exclaimed "well it says in your charts you had a large cyst on your r. ovary"

Within a month, the cyst was a tumor that was the size of a softball. It had twisted and I had to have an emergency surgery by a different OBGYN/surgeon *we will call her Nancy* After that I felt so angry at dr. peggy I asked the OBG who preformed the surgery to be my OBG.

Recently I went to Dr. Nancy will horrible pain around my ovarys. she said it sounded like Endmitriosis. So we did a laprscopy. She said she found NOTHING, that the pain was mental.

She sent me home with photo's from the surgery. After revewing them, I found a cyst! I called and she confirmed it was! but said its too small to worry about- thats why she didnt tell me, Even though its in the exact spot that I am feeling all pain

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 3:41 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Health

• I personally would putin a complaint on her and find myself a different doctor I have been through those types of things before with the doctors around my home town and I have finally put in complaints. The thing is there is no telling how many other people she is doing this to and it needs to be stopped and I for one know that cysts hurt like ....yeah lol I get them all the time and they have no right to tell you that the pain is all in your head or nothing to be worried about.
    jgwilliams

Answer by jgwilliams at 3:51 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Get a second opinion.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Register a complaint against her. That sort of paternalistic attitude went out in the 70's. You have a right to know everything she does about you, whether it's nothing to be concerned about or not.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would get another opinion. Explain your history to the new doctor, and go from there with regard to treatment.

That being said, women have cysts come and go all of the time. Her opinion was that the small cyst she saw couldn't be the cause of the problem. I'd bet that a review board, after seeing the documentation, would come to the same conclusion. A different doctor may come up with a different opinion, but I don't know that she would be found to be negligent,
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:52 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would be reporting her to the medical board...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:24 AM on Aug. 18, 2010