Has anyone else had a hemorrhage in the placenta?

Today I am 15 weeks and 6 days. 2 1/2 weeks ago I was having SERIOUS pain in the uterus area that I considered a spasm type pain. I first wrote it off as my uterus growing, until they took my breath away and I couldn't move. No bleeding. Called the doc after hours he said he didnt think it was pregnancy related, but to come the next day. When I went in the doc assume a UTI, but ordered an u/s just in case. Sure enough they found a problem. It is a subchorionic hemorrhage, which is where a piece of the placenta detaches. I can find little material on the subject and most involves bleeding, I have had none. My appt is Aug 23, but I really want to know as much as I can so I can ask the right questions. Any knowledge is helpful. Thanks.

Casumael

Asked by Casumael at 3:50 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The subchorionic hemorrhage (subchorionic hematoma) collects between the uterine wall and the chorionic membrane and may leak through the cervical canal. Later in the first trimester and early second trimester, the subchorionic hematoma may partially strip the developing placenta away from its attachment site. Therefore, the prognosis of patients with this type of hematoma is worse than the prognosis of patients with hematoma early in first trimester8 (see Images above and Images 2-3 in Multimedia).

The subchorionic hematoma often regresses, especially if it is small or moderate in size. Large hematomas, which strip at least 30-40% of placenta away from endometrium, may enlarge further, compressing the gestational sac and leading to premature rupture of membranes with consequent spontaneous abortion.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/404971-overview

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:53 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My placenta tore away from the uterine wall when I was pregnant with my 2nd. I remember waking up one nite because it felt like someone hit me in the back with a baseball bat but it was over as soon as it started and, honestly, I thought it was a dream because I was so tired and out of it that it didn't seem real. I did get checked out by my gyno who said I had an infection and they tried to treat it but I delivered via emergency c-section at 28 1/2 weeks gestation. I'm still considered a medical mystery because they don't know why it happened; I was not considered high risk. Was told this happens in 3 scenarios: drug user mothers, pregnant moms who are in accidents/experience physical trauma, or moms who have had numerous pregnancies (none of those applied to me). Best they could come up with was that I developed an infection that caused tearing or tearing caused an infection. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had previa when I was pregnant with my youngest, I had a lot of bleeding. (Scary stuff.) It's not the same as your condition, but I would guess that you'll go through what I did - I was on modified and complete bedrest during different times of the pregnancy, and I had to have a scheduled c-section 2 weeks before my due date (they didn't want me going into labor). I ended up having an emergency c 4 weeks prior to the scheduled one, I had a bad bleed and it wouldn't stop.

Best of luck to you! Drink lots of water, listen to your doctor, and stop searching on the Internet for answers! :) It made me crazy when I did.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:48 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My sister had hers tear away from the middle. So even tho she knew something was wrong and wasnt feeling well, it didnt show up on the ultrasound. When she was 34wks she had a sudden massive hemmorage at home (while bathing her 10mo old) and was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and had to have an emergency c section. She lost a ton of blood and had to have 2 transfusions! My niece was a good size (6.6lbs) but still had issues from being early and stayed in the hospital for 6wks. They still dont know why it happened and they probably wont ever know!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:43 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I started my last pregnancy off with a Subchronic Hemmhorage and ended up with a placental abruption and post partum hemmhorage. It can be a very scary thing. The best thing you can do is to rest like they tell you. Best of Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 5:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010