Do your kids say please and thank you?

My kids are 3 and 2 and people seemed shocked to hear them say please and thank you most of the time without me having to tell them. Do children really not say things like that anymore and if so why are children not being taught to be polite?

MooNFaeRie30

Asked by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes she does I started her at a young age also and it bothers her when people don't say it back and it bothers her when people don't say Bless you when someone else sneezes we have this thing(not religious at all) but whoever sneezes one of us say Bless you says the one who sneezes Thank You & the one who said Bless you says you're Welcome it goes back and forth
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:26 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My kids are horrible acting, but they always use their manners. Please, Thank you, and excuse me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• absolutely. There is no way I would allow her to get away with not use her manners. She is almost 3. I will ignore her if she does not say what she needs to say.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 7:21 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, from like age one. He was taught.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son just turned 15 months and i have now started teaching him to say please/ thank you. I thinks its good manners
    kassee

Answer by kassee at 8:30 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My kids do sometimes but most of the time they dont.
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Most of the time. That's how I taught them to ask for things. Even before they could talk, I had taught them please/thank you along with their other signs.

Answer by missanc at 10:44 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes! We are military, and I would be very imbarrassed if mine did not! They also call everyone, ms. or mr. before their name, and yes sir, and yes maam! My husband would die if my child were ill mannered in front of his company or brigade commander!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes. I taught my kids very early to use their manners. My daughter is grown up, but with my son, we receive many compliments from older people, and strange looks from younger people. I guess young parents don't feel respect and good manners are necessary. That is a sad thing.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010