At what age should i worry my kid is color blind?

My son is 2.6 he just went for his check up and I asked the doc the same question.. she told me that most kids his age are just learning his colors?? that didnt sound right to me tho cause my son has known his colors for over a year now.. but our issue is with RED and BLUE. EVERYTHING he sees thats red he says is blue? and everything that is blue he says is blue.. I dont get it. Plus if he says something is blue when its red he looks for clues that tell him if he's right or not and if i tilt my head or look at his funny he will ask me if its really red..

Mrs_Chris_Pukt

Asked by Mrs_Chris_Pukt at 8:03 AM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't worry my son did the same with blue and black. Not to mention. Red/blue is not a color blind thing. He will get it. It took my son from 18 months until 3 to understand the difference and by 4 he had it. LOL I understand I thought that too, but, your doc is right.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:06 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor. I believe that its until the age 3.
    my2loves0607

Answer by my2loves0607 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• take him to an eye doctor but my 2.5 yr old twin boys do that with red / green. as they are getting closer to three it's getting better
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:17 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My youngest son used to call every color blue, and now at 5yo he says color there is. Give it time, this phase will pass and he'll be saying his colors correctly.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If your child is constantly mixing up colors or can not differ between certain shades and sees it as a solid shade then their is a problem. A simple test you can do is lay out three circle cards, two red and one green, on the red draw a green smile on the other red draw a black fsmile, on the green draw a red smile face. If there is red/green (the most common color blindness) your child will see both the red and the green as the same color and will not see the faces at all or very well on the cards except the one with the black face.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:39 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You can ask him to point to the card with the smile face (if he sees all he should show you all three) you can also ask him to group the cards by color (if he differs the colors you will have the red in one and green in another) These simple tests do not require him to know his colors just for him to actually see the colors.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:40 AM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is color blind. He sees the darker colors wrong. Like burgundy he sees as green, dark blue he sees as black, purple he sees blue. They found it out in school. Aside from the fact he doesn't match sometimes, theres nothing to worry about. I have taught him even though he sees it as one color it is another. He understands he is seeing them different and we are learning together how to deal with this. I have had to learn to rephrase things, instead of says get the green towel I have to tell him on what shelf etc... Also I ask him what color is something so I can adjust to him so he doesn't feel like hes wrong,
    sunshinesray

Answer by sunshinesray at 8:42 AM on Aug. 18, 2010